how and where can I sell Photos

Squirt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to Potography and would like soon start selling my photos. But Dont know where to start. Thanks for any suggestions :er:

I have taken photos for the past 30+ years of my life and have never so far sold any (which is not quite true, for I did sell photos of events that I was specifically asked to photograph, but other than that....)

But my photography magazine features an article on www.istockphoto.com in this month's issue... I haven't been there as yet to look at it, but I am sure other members know quite a bit more about stock photography and can tell you more (and I might get interested to check that site out eventually, too).

You can start with your friend's interests. If their thing is their cars, take great shots of them and sell them. Or take their portraits. If you are going to do portraits, though, do take a look at the quality of the portraits taken in your local shopping mall studio. Unless you can equal or beat those for price and quality, don't bother.

There are threads on this site dealing with this topic.

Happy New Year!

I've learned it's very hard to sell stock photos.
I think the thing in stock photography right now is pictures that can say 'corporate' or 'business'.
If you're taking landscapes and such like me... they want nothing to do with it because they already have such a massive selection of that very category.
Your pictures need to be specific.

Try to find what people in your local area would want.
I live in a small town in Canada so to fly to New York to take pictures and sell here would be silly.

What kind of pictures do you take?

First, take some really good photographs... ;-)

I think that's the best advice. I'd forget about trying to sell your work until you have the photographic process well under your belt. It's a lot of work and can be a big distraction from improving your photography. I'm not saying you won't sell anything, but considering how many people are taking photographs (especially these days), you need to have something that really stands out before people will lay down the cash. You need to have something more than a "neat" image.

There are a bunch of other threads asking this, so I'd do a search here and see what's in those.

Thanks for the advise. It sounds like photography may have to stay just a hobbie for me:( . Oh well I can still enjoy it as a hobbie:) . In answer to Neea I take mostly nature pictures landscapes, flowers, animals and the like.

Most reactions

Back