How are these lenses

Discreetspeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've decided I am going to get a new lens for my D3000. I have narrowed it down to either a fisheye or a macro. From their I narrowed it down to the two lenses below. Eventually I will get both a fisheye and a macro. My question is for my price range right now (the fisheye is at the top of my price point) which lens should I get? Should I save up more and get a better fisheye later and get the macro now, or should I get the fisheye now and save up to get a 200mm or something like that macro?

ATXAF100PRODN Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 PRO D Macro Lens for Nikon AF Digital and Film Cameras Macro Lens

ATX107PRODXN Tokina 10mm - 17mm F/3.5-4.5 DX Autofocus Fisheye Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras Fisheye

In the macro area the only other lenses in a similar price range would be the Tamron 90mm macro and the Sigma 105mm macro - both however are a good $50-70 more than the Tamron however.

That said I would not expect you to be able to see any image quality difference between any of those lenses in a field test and even a controled studio test would show little real difference. So the Tamron is certainly a good solid choice to make for a good quality macro lens.

Fisheye wise I can't comment save to say that most people who own one find that its one of the least used lenses in their kit - a very few people might use them a lot more but unless you are despirate for its - different - view results I would not get that lens first.

As for what to get first you do really have to choose yourself - I would get the macro, but you might be one of those rare few who love fisheye results. You have to sit down and work out what it is that you want to photograph; how you want to photograph it and what limitations you current gear has in letting you achive that. If you find a missing element (eg you need a fisheye lens to get fisheye shots) then you know what it is you have to get.
Other people will have other criteria and other views which might not match your own.

That Sigma isn't a fisheye though, or is it and I just read the website wrong?

You're correct the sigma is a (very good) wide angle lens aimed at crop sensor cameras and thus is not a fisheye lens like the Tokina you list.

My bad... I missed the fisheye part, I was just looking at the focal length... Overread is right, the Sigma is not a fisheye...

I think I'm going to go with the fisheye over the macro for right now. Does anyone have any experience with the Tokina 10-17 fisheye? I've read reviews but online reviews are a crap shoot as far as being accurate goes.

Have you tried searching around the flickr groups? You might find one dedicated to this lens or a general fisheye group which might have some info in the discussions. I say this because fisheye lenses are fairly specailist and most people I see who use them are using prime fisheyes as opposed to the zoom (I have no idea if that is a result of image quality of just personal prefrence for a prime lens)

Most reactions

Back