How are these photos done?

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would absolutely LOVE to be able to shoot portraits in this style. (By "style" I don't mean homeless people, I mean the incredible texture, contrast, and richness... it's like I can reach out and touch every wrinkle, whisker, or crevice). Can anyone tell me what it takes to get shots like these: Haunting portraits of the homeless – CNN Photos - CNN.com Blogs

The first one isn't so hot, but the next two are amazing. Any tips? What kind of equipment, lens, lighting, settings... post processing???

Attention to lighting.

I'm wondering the same, I saw this set today and was blown away. I aspire to produce this kind of quality and detail in my photo one day.

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to shoot portraits in this style. (By "style" I don't mean homeless people, I mean the incredible texture, contrast, and richness... it's like I can reach out and touch every wrinkle, whisker, or crevice). Can anyone tell me what it takes to get shots like these: Haunting portraits of the homeless – CNN Photos - CNN.com Blogs

The first one isn't so hot, but the next two are amazing. Any tips? What kind of equipment, lens, lighting, settings... post processing???

First off, these shots are 100% about the lighting. Very keen attention to the lighting. The B&W conversion looks like it may have been done in Silver Efex Pro from Nik Software, or something similar. You can tell from the almost too perfect shading and range of the blacks and whites. Looks better than reality.

The lens was definitely a really fast prime, like a 85mm f/1.4 perhaps. The clarity and sharpness are extreme, and I'd bet my house that Lightroom 3 was heavily involved in the finished product.

SPL, if it makes you feel any better, my guess is that many hours went into the shooting and (mostly) post production of this set. Nobody cranks out images like these off the top of their head...

Looks like the entire background was cloned in. Lots of shading. The editor used PS or whatever they used, like an artist would use charcoal for shading. I would love to see the original shot.

lots of post processing. not necessarily a prime lens, although i love prime lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back