• Deep Fried

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Beercan

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I make a mixture of brown sugar, lots of Kosher salt and water, then I immerse the bird in it for 24 hrs. in a large cooler, and top it with lots of ice. I make sure every 4 hrs (or so) that there's enough ice.

Mitica100 said:
I make a mixture of brown sugar, lots of Kosher salt and water, then I immerse the bird in it for 24 hrs. in a large cooler, and top it with lots of ice. I make sure every 4 hrs (or so) that there's enough ice.
Yet I still only see 1 person (me) voting for roast with brine... :razz:

I'm concerned about the three who want it deep-fried. What do they use for a chip-pan? A tin bath?
Just thinking about it is hardening my arteries.

Oh no Hertz.. It's not battered and fried like chicken. The hot oil sears the skin to lock in the moisture and cooks the meat very quickly. That way you have to cook them for 3.5 minutes per pound and they're not greasy at all. :drool:

Do you have mini-turkeys in the States then? Because ours are bl**dy huge. What sort of fryer do you use?

Just thought. What about barbecued?

20-25 lbs not unusual. We use a very large kettle, heated with a sizable propane burner and fried in peanut oil.

Here's Home Depot's (a home improvement store in the US) version of the turkey fryer.

050904011756_4.jpg

The recipe on the link you posted sounds great. Let us know how it turned out.

When I cook turkey, I melt butter, mix it with flour to create a paste and roast. Sounds a little weird but the butter flour mixture with the turkey juices make a nice yummy crust. :D This year, I'm hoping to get away with just having to make a couple of pies. :mrgreen:

LittleMan said:
Has anyone here ever heard of a "Turducken"?
What it is, is a Chicken in a duck in a Turkey... :drool:

We tried it a couple of years ago. It sounded pretty good but we didn't like it as much as we though we would. Not bad, just not as awsome as we thought. I don't think we'd do it again.

We've been doing the Deep Fried turkeys for about 12 years now and most everybody loves them. We still do one in the oven for those who don't or just won't try it.

Like Terri, In the oven we use the method of preheating the oven to 550. Put in the bird and after 15 minutes we turn it down to 325 for the rest of the time. Excellent results and cripsy skin! Yum!

What does soaking a turkey in salty water achieve, other than upping the salt content and making it claggy. Eugh.

The traditional English way of cooking:

1. Put the sprouts and cabbage on first and get em boiling. (My gran says better safe than sorry)
2. Stuff turkey, cover in bacon, stick in oven for random number of hours.
3. Cook potatoes and parsnips.
4. Baste turkey occasionally.
5. Turn bird once.
6. Stick potatoes and parsnips in with bird.
7. Take bird out the oven, stick veggies in bowls and serve. Microwave the sprouts and cabbage again to be sure.
8. Put butter on veggies.
9. Carve bird
10. Eat.

That's the way I've always had it.

I skip the sprouts and cabbage.

Rob

What does soaking a turkey in salty water achieve, other than upping the salt content and making it claggy. Eugh.
Alton Brown is like Bill Nye except with food. So he explains the science of it and I will find out when the episode airs this friday. I'll report back just for you!

We dont do the cooking personally but ever since the trendy deep fried turkey hit the streets- my family is stuck in it's surpisingly tasty meatyness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back