How big is the gap between top range digital an DSLR?

xlaire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nubi.com.au
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a top of the range digital camera and I can take pretty decent photo's with it:D. Long ago people were taking fantastic photo's with less than half of technology we use today. How big is the gap between a top of the line digital camera and a low to mid range DSLR? And also from a bottom line base model DSLR to a top of the range one? What are the main differences between digital and SLR?

What do you mean when you say a "top range digital camera" that you have? I take it it's not a DigitalSLR.

I guess what separates them are all the manual controls, manual focus, interchangeable lenses, a viewfinder that accurately represents (for the most part) what the lens sees, higher frame per second shooting, etc.

I think you mean point and shoot?

You wont get a lot of people praising P&S here I dont think.

Thats what your grandma uses because she dont know how to take photos properly lol.

- Neil

What do you mean when you say a "top range digital camera" that you have? I take it it's not a DigitalSLR.

I guess what separates them are all the manual controls, manual focus, interchangeable lenses, a viewfinder that accurately represents (for the most part) what the lens sees, higher frame per second shooting, etc.

... and perhaps most importantly, a sensor that is about 4 times larger than the sensor on a point and shoot... unless you go full frame, then it is about 6 times larger.

Have you ever seen the Grand Canyon? That big.:mrgreen:
Take your top of the line digital camera and mount a fisheye lens to it,. . . oh wait. . . .
Ultimately DSLRs tend to have larger sensors which gives better quality photos as well as the ability to swap out lenses for different focal lengths and effects. They are ready to use sooner (from turning on to ready to shoot time) and typically will have higher frame rates. Generally you will have more control over what the camera is doing as well as being able to shoot in more challenging conditions (show me a P&S with clean ISO 6400 and up).

Yes I mean I have a regular point and shoot with options of changing ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and exposure value in the camera's 'manual' mode. It's not a DSLR.

So if I got a cheap, bottom of the line DSLR would it kick my point and shoot's butt?

Digital SLR Vs Digital Point-and-shoot Cameras

SensorSizes.gif

Yes I mean I have a regular point and shoot with options of changing ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and exposure value in the camera's 'manual' mode. It's not a DSLR.

Well Scatterbrained pretty much hit the mark on the differences.

Cost/ease of use/(low)weight/portability are advantages that P&S have over DSLRs in my opinion.

From a strictly performance standpoint they are light-years behind though.

For one thing their lenses and sensors are often fractions of the sizes involved with high end DSLR bodies and lenses.

You could probably fit like 10-15 small point and shoot cameras inside of just my 70-200 2.8 lens for example.

It would be like comparing an iphone to a Mac Pro in my opinion. They are simply in a completely different category for performance/price/size.

Hope this helps.

- Neil

Welcome to the forum.

So if I got a cheap, bottom of the line DSLR would it kick my point and shoot's butt?
In some situations (bright sunny day), the difference may not be all that apparent. But in other situation (low light, high ISO), the larger sensor will really help.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but another advantage that an SLR type camera has over 99% of other digital cameras, is that you can change the lens. With a P&S, even a top of the line one, you are stuck with the lens that is built in. Some of them do have pretty good lenses, but with an SLR, you have the option of adding very, very good quality lenses...or a lens that is best for the type of shooting you want to do.
For example, you could buy a $600 DSLR and attach it to a $10,000 lens, and you've got a pretty good combination.

Also, because the system is modular, it's a better investment when you buy a DSLR. For example...while you do have to spend more money to get more lenses, you can keep those lenses and upgrade the camera at a later time. And the lenses, especially the good ones, hold their value very well. You could sell them for 80% of what you paid for them, years later. But with a P&S camera, you can't sell them for much because the technology moves so fast, they become obsolete (even if they still take great photos).

To Rainking: Your blog is so useful, I'm reading it now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back