How came 55mm UV filter is compatible with my Nikkor 18-55 kit?

TonyMontanaSlot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the shop, they sold me 55mm UV filter and it fits just well.
Later on I've found out that 52mm is required for my lens.
How came? Should I buy 55mm or 52mm polarizer?

How could a 55mm UV filter fit on a lens with a 52mm thread - doesn't make sense ?? 52mm is correct size !!

How could a 55mm UV filter fit on a lens with a 52mm thread - doesn't make sense ?? 52mm is correct size !!
It's marked 55mm both filter and it's box. Flama UV 55mm. Maybe mark is a mistake:meh:, I'll measure it when i get home.

Maybe they believe the 52MM filter will vignette at wide angles if the filter is thick. If so a step up ring would have been a nice companion for the filter.

Jesus Christ, how lame is this? It's indeed 52mm but marked as 55mm. Well I got poor quality for the low price ($13)

What do you need a UV filter for?
The image sensor already has a UV filter in front of it.

Cheap UV filters soften focus because are rarely optically flat and clear.

Printed on the bottom of Nikon lenses is the filter thread diameter of the lens - ø 52, ø 77, ø 72, etc.

Printed on the bottom of Nikon lenses is the filter thread diameter of the lens - ø 52, ø 77, ø 72, etc.
I need it to protect my lens from dust, scratches:(
I'll get a better filter later, there are no decent filters in my city right now

I'll get a better filter later, there are no decent filters in my city right now

Buy a lens hood then.

Buy a lens hood then.

Not really the same protection quality...

The front of your lens has a very hard coating...it would take something pretty bad to actually scratch it. And dust is easy to clean.

As mentioned, a cheap filter is going to really hurt your image quality....and why bother to use a nice camera & lens, if you are just going to kill the image quality with a cheap filter?

If quality control is so poor in your UV filter, you are better off with the HB-45 (or equivalent) lens hood and always put on the lens cover when you're not using it. As mentioned earlier, a low quality filter will degrade you photos and lenses are quite "rugged" to a certain extent. Trust me, I've used cheap ones and they do degrade IQ. The better ones are more expensive though. More expensive than an original Nikon HB-45 lens hood. BTW, your kit lens is 52mm.

Really don't waste your time putting cheap filters on good optics, to degrade the quality of your images because of the old wives tale of protection - it's long been defunct I think I even seen Myth Busters do a show on it :) Listen to the others throw the filters away and put on a hood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back