How can clients download their own photos?

ricepudding

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am a doula. At this point in my photography career I take photos from my D80 at births and give them away for free afterward. Up to this point I've been burning photos to CD and giving them to clients when I see them next. But most people want photos ASAP. I'd like to get away from the whole CD burning thing. Files are too large to e-mail.

So I thought if I uploaded to my flickr account privately and gave them access to photos that things would be easier. But flickr only allows people to download photos one at a time!? I sometimes have a hundred from a birth.

Is there a "free" or very inexpensive site I can upload to where my clients can just hit a button to get a photo set on their hard drive or burn a CD from their website?

Thanks!

I am not sure about finding some thing that would be free to you, but you could rent some server space and section it off and require a pass word to get the photos. I would also be a good way for you to keep a back up of all of your work.

Yes, setting up your own web site would be a rather easy way to give people access to files. It wouldn't even need to be an actual 'web site', just a page with access to the files...or course, you could get fancy with it if you want.
If you already have a web site, it should be easy to add something like that.

On my website I have Photocart, which is a 'photo store' for selling prints etc. but I can also set it up to sell images for download. Sometimes for family events, I offer the images for download and set the price to nothing. Then family members can sign up and download the images that they want.

I've been wondering about this too. I've come up with two possible solutions. The first would be get some cheap 2GB USB flash drives (that you woudln't mind giving away) and carry a cheap laptop with you and just transfer the photos onto the flash drive and give it to them.

The other option I've come up with (if you and your subjects are tech savvy) is to set up an FTP server. You can get FTP host programs either free or cheap and clients can be found for free. You can set up a directory with a username and pass for each subject and let them download them that way. This would be similar to Big Mike's suggestion of having a website to sign up on, but probably easier to set up.

I do have a website hosted by Yahoo. It is very reliable and fast.

BUTTTT,

in the past when I've put photos up it seems to load lots of large photos quite slowly online. And it takes me forever to load them through my software to get them published. I'd rather make the CD and drive it over to their house!

Maybe I need to look into that more!?

Most reactions

Back