How can I achieve a normal exposure with fixed shutter speed/aperature?

rs77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to introduce myself to this forum. Hello and good day to all. I am new to dslr filming and I have a specific question regarding to camera settings. What is the best way to achieve a normal exposure while filming if you need the shutter speed fixed at 50 (shooting 24fps..), but you still want shallow depth of field (ex. 1.8), and the sunlight is pretty bright? My ISO cannot go lower than 100 on Canon 70 D. The meter shows multiple stops above the center line. What are the options to achieve a normal exposure but with these fixed shutter speed and aperature settings? Exposure compensation? Filters?

ND filter. Pretty much a sun shade in front of your lens to darken it.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Shutter speed for video really only effects exposure. So having a high or low setting won't make a difference.

ND filter. Pretty much a sun shade in front of your lens to darken it.

Thanks, i thought that maybe the answer. I will definitely pick one up.

Shutter speed for video really only effects exposure. So having a high or low setting won't make a difference.

i may be wrong but to my knowledge, very fast shutter speeds gives off a jittery motion on video? I was advised to set my shutter speed at twice the fps for the "film look". Being that I was shooting at 24fps, I wanted to keep the shutter speed at 50.

i may be wrong but to my knowledge, very fast shutter speeds gives off a jittery motion on video? I was advised to set my shutter speed at twice the fps for the "film look". Being that I was shooting at 24fps, I wanted to keep the shutter speed at 50.

That is correct. You actually want some motion blur a little bit when shooting video or it will look weird. I have been told the best shutter speed is around 2X the fps.

I've found the differences to be very slight. Jitter can be cleaned up in post very easily.

To achieve a low shutter speed and shallow dof and a bright sunny day you'd need 3 or 4 nd filters. No joke.

Also you can shoot a higher fps and down grade in post as well.

I posted this elsewhere about pulling stills from video, but the shutter speed demonstration is still relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back