How can I create the image I have in mind? Christmas lights!

chloe_digiscrap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I need some help because I can't figure this out. I'm having an informal session this weekend with a couple and I'd like to photograph them (outside) with a "curtain" of Christmas lights in the back (and a nice bokeh to it, if that's not too much to ask! LOL).

Something like these pictures:
View attachment 61434
View attachment 61435
View attachment 61436

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. We are allowed to post a link(s) to images we do not own rights to.

I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-800 but no off-camera-trigging system, plus a 50mm 1.8 and the kit zoom of my D5200 (18-105 mm 3.5-5.6). And a tripod of course. Any idea on how I could pull this one out? Will it be doable with the gear I have available? TIA for your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to elevate the camera's ISO level fairly high, to make the lights look even halfway decent. Think ISO 640 or 800. Seriously--unless you raise the ISO, the shoot will likely be a total failure. Use a slow shutter speed and a wide f/stop for the people, who,will be lighted by the flash. This type of shot is in effect, two separate exposures; the background lights being exposed by high ISO, wide f/stop, and slow shutter speed, and the second exposure, being made of the couple, by way of the flash, and the proper f/stop setting for the flash.

The big trick is to make the couple not look too bright or too much "over-flashed". THis can be done by setting the flash to a manual power setting. I think that on-camera flash in the hotshoe will be okay for this, it really will be....this kind of shot is not dependent on off-camera lighting. At 1/8 or 1/4 power at ISO 800 at f/2.8 using the 50mm, you'll be okay at the right distance. SHutter speed needs to be slow enough to make the lights in the background render "right"; it might be 1/4 second on very weak, distant lights; at some type of outdoor lighting show, the speed might be ISO 800 at f/2.8 at 1/40 second or so. So--keep the camera STEADY!

Well the more distance you put between the couple and the background, the less distance you have between you and the couple, and the wider your aperture the more you'll increase the bokeh. Should be very doable with the gear you have on hand.

If you those pictures aren't your's, you should remove them. It's okay to link to them but using someone else's work is against the rules on here.

How to do it? Derrel and Robbins pretty much summed it up.

Sorry Ron, thanks for catching up on my mistake about the pictures' rights! *rookie mistake!*

Thank you all for your answers! I'll definitely bring the tripod and I'll try to practice tomorrow night with a willing guinea pig... err, I mean friend model! I'll let you know how it goes!

If you those pictures aren't your's, you should remove them. It's okay to link to them but using someone else's work is against the rules on here.

Hey.. buster, that's the quirky comedy duo of Derrel and Robbins.

Sheesh. Mighty hard to continue being zany and madcap when you bozo's can't even get the marquee right.. lol

Hey.. buster, that's the quirky comedy duo of Derrel and Robbins.

Sheesh. Mighty hard to continue being zany and madcap when you bozo's can't even get the marquee right.. lol

My bad, I missed that memo.

Most reactions

Back