How can I improve this infrared B&W image?

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a Hoya filter for my infrared photos, but I'm not pleased with the whites of the foliage compared to the ones I see online. My camera is not modified, so I have to use long exposures, so it may also affect the sharpness of the trees and leaves. Any advice as to how these B&W infrared photos can be improved both compositionally and in post processing?

Florya InfraRed by batmura, on Flickr

Wow!! I just looked at your flickr account! You have some very nice work on there! Unfortunately, this doesn't live up to the high standard that I've just seen of your work.
I like the effect that the filter is giving you. I'm just not that excited about the subject. I would go back out and try to find a better scene. Can't wait to see your next attempt with the filter!

The photo you posted needs more contrast, particularly in the mid-tones.

The lack of contrast in the mid-tones is causing a veiled or somewhat milky appearance to the entire image.

It also looks somewhat crispy (over sharpened), or more accurately, sharpened using to much Radius for the edge frequency in the image.

A way you can adjust contrast is to use USM backwards - a small Amount (like 10) with Radius almost maxed out.

Post the original too if you want C&C on the editing. By the way TPF has a forum for editing C&C - Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery

Wow!! I just looked at your flickr account! You have some very nice work on there! Unfortunately, this doesn't live up to the high standard that I've just seen of your work.
I like the effect that the filter is giving you. I'm just not that excited about the subject. I would go back out and try to find a better scene. Can't wait to see your next attempt with the filter!
Thanks for the comment, Michele. I appreciate it. Btw, who's the athlete in your avatar? Just curious.

The photo you posted needs more contrast, particularly in the mid-tones.

The lack of contrast in the mid-tones is causing a veiled or somewhat milky appearance to the entire image.

It also looks somewhat crispy (over sharpened), or more accurately, sharpened using to much Radius for the edge frequency in the image.

A way you can adjust contrast is to use USM backwards - a small Amount (like 10) with Radius almost maxed out.

Post the original too if you want C&C on the editing. By the way TPF has a forum for editing C&C - Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery
Thanks, KmH. I set the radius to 1.5 in LR. I am not happy with the whites. I wanted to get them whiter. When that didn't happen, I thought it must be due to the filter. What do you mean by USM backwards? Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back