How Can I Take Black and White Photos?

fer111679

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought a 5D Mark II canon and I want to know how I can take B&W pics. Can you help me? Thank you!!

You can convert to B&W in post processing with most all photo editing software.

Shoot color and make b&w using software. This way, you can 'filter' your monochromes, digitally.

Thank you for your responses. My teacher does not want any photoshop. Do you know if the cam has an option to shoot B&W? I had a 20D and it had an option to do it.

Saying "no photoshop" is like saying "no developing".

All digital images need post-processing. Choosing to allow the camera to do it instead of doing it yourself just relinquishes your control over the final product, but the processing is going to happen no matter what.

According to the manual, the button on the back directly under the Menu button will be your "Picture Style" button. Push it, then select "Monochrome" ("M"). If you shoot in JPEG, you cannot revert back to color.

You can go to areas where there is no color... or you can go to your settings on the camera choose picture style and monochrome. But I highly recommend you find areas with no color, changing a setting isn't very fun.

JS_280 said:
According to the manual, the button on the back directly under the Menu button will be your "Picture Style" button. Push it, then select "Monochrome" ("M"). If you shoot in JPEG, you cannot revert back to color.

Thank you very much!! You are the best :)

shootermcgavin said:
You can go to areas where there is no color... or you can go to your settings on the camera choose picture style and monochrome. But I highly recommend you find areas with no color, changing a setting isn't very fun.

Thank you!!

Saying "no photoshop" is like saying "no developing".

All digital images need post-processing. Choosing to allow the camera to do it instead of doing it yourself just relinquishes your control over the final product, but the processing is going to happen no matter what.

If you're really good and you understand how your camera works, then depending on the subject, you might not need to. I'm a huge PS fan, but I'm never prouder than when I take an image that I don't need to edit.

I just bought a 5D Mark II canon and I want to know how I can take B&W pics. Can you help me? Thank you!!
That information is in the 5D MK II user's manual.

How many other features and functions does your 5D MK II have that you are unaware of?

A digital DSLR image sensor has a Bayer Array in front of it. The Bayer Array is used to determine the colors in a scene.

The camera has to then convert that color information to produce a B&W (Monochrome) JPEG. There are camera settings you can use that affect how that JPEG is edited by the camera.

Can't decide if this was sarcasm or not.

A lot of black and white places where you live are there?!

Most reactions

Back