how can i tell if fixer is still good

Jeff Canes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how can i tell if fixer is still good, I have about 3/4 of gallon in the brown jug, it likely 6 months old

If it's for film, drop a bit of film leader in it. Measure how long it takes for the film to clear. If it clears, fix for twice that long. If it doesn't, throw it out.

For paper? I dunno. Same thing, I guess, except that dilutions and fixing times are different for paper.

Thasks James, did the test you subjected, the film cleared within a minute or two, I usual fix for 7-10 minutes, seem like it will be fine, agree the same film test would work with paper tray working solution

Jeff Canes said:
I usual fix for 7-10 minutes

are you using tmax? if so, those times seem fine. if you are using a film other than tmax, be careful of over fixing.

if it clears the film, it'll be fine for paper.

JamesD said:
If it's for film, drop a bit of film leader in it. Measure how long it takes for the film to clear. If it clears, fix for twice that long. If it doesn't, throw it out.

For paper? I dunno. Same thing, I guess, except that dilutions and fixing times are different for paper.

Same principle applies, photographic paper is yellowy prior to fixing, get an unused piece and in the light, stick the end in the fix. When the yellow clears out,[quote, "fix for twice as long"] ;)

all right then.
Now comes the long-lasting check : if after 1 month the picture is getting red/purple, then the fixer was not good.
If your fixer was properly stored (no air, no light) then you can keep it for quite a long time
have fun
Stéphane

Most reactions

New Topics

Back