How can you hate the Yankees?

bnz506

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Those in NYC know this story well.
Yanks to pay funerals for Bronx victims
Eight children, one adult perished in deadliest fire since 9-11
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com
TAMPA, Fla. -- The New York Yankees have voluntarily committed to paying the funeral costs for victims of a Bronx house fire that killed nine people Wednesday.
Eight children and one adult perished when fire engulfed a row house near Yankee Stadium late Wednesday. The fire was the deadliest in New York City in 17 years, apart from the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center.
The blaze ignited a four-story brick building at 1022 Woodycrest Avenue, in the Highbridge neighborhood of the Bronx. It is believed to have been ignited by a faulty space heater located in the building's basement.
Yankees principal owner George M. Steinbrenner addressed the club's commitment in a statement released Friday through spokesman Howard Rubenstein.
"The horrible tragedy in the Bronx which has resulted in the loss of life of nine of our neighbors has touched our hearts and those of all New Yorkers," Steinbrenner said.
"The New York Yankees have tremendous sympathy for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives or have been injured. We hope that by paying for the funerals, our assistance will be able to ease some of their burden."
With the community in mourning, numerous local groups have opened efforts to raise money to assist the affected families, Bronx borough president Adolfo Carrion Jr. announced Friday.
More than $20,000 has been raised by local businesses. The New York City Produce Market at Hunts Point has also donated $5,000 to the effort, Carrion said.
"I want to thank everyone who has demonstrated their care and humanity, including the Yankees, as this devastated community mourns its losses," Carrion said.

They are the best team in baseball (i hate them). but i am sure they are reasonably decent people as a whole

We don't hate any particular person involved with the Yankees. Most, if not all, are probably decent human beings. Some may even be great. It's "The Yankees" that we love to hate. It's like the Cubs. Just because they self-destruct every year doesn't mean that they're not the best team in baseball. You can't apply logic to passion. :)

Because I separate acts of charity from acts of sport ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back