How can you tell if an image is blown out?

And just to reiterate, the screen will tell you if the image after a default 2.2 gamma conversion is blown (or if you are just shooting JPG). If you are shooting RAW, it may not be, and probably isn't unless you've really overexposed it. Based on this info, you will get the greatest tone resolution when you see blown areas showing up on the screen/histogram. It will just take some work at conversion time.

I'm going to have to play with this to see how it works out for myself and get some examples.

okay, fair go guys, then this is whati have to say:
I would do everything I could in terms of learning in order to never have to look at a histogram again :p
btw, obviously canon is better! Sheesh, n000b.

I think it's perfectly fair if you don't want to look at one ever in your life. A histogram is a tool, nothing more. There may be some carpenters out there that can set pieces by eye without a level, but I think it's crazy to put someone down for using one.

Greens for colour photography equate to grey in BW, if your green histo shows all is fine then it usually is. Personally if only using the in camera meter while on a wedding shoot or other outdoor, I'll meter from the grass to correctly expose the shot, more so if there is a lot of white in the metered area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back