How did you know when you were ready?

AngieDoogles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love taking photos! I have been reading here, practicing, learning, and improving for several years now. (My family and friends are probably sick of me always taking pics!) Even though I've been asked countless times to photograph things for friends - and friends of friends - I've always said no because I just didn't feel right charging when I consider myself an amateur.

I've recently been considering taking the plunge though. After posting pics of my newborn, tons of my friends with kids started asking how much I would charge to photograph their children. I don't know if I will ever feel "professional enough" to charge money cause there are so many photographers out there that are WAY better than I am (or probably ever will be). When/how did you know you were ready?!

I am in the same boat. I feel guilty - but i think you just have to take the plunge and ask a flat fee. I bet you'll push yourself harder and this pictures you take will be amazing. Good Luck ( i might apply this to myself as well) :)

I was ready when I was consistently producing quality images. I knew I had hit that place when I was no longer excited when I saw a picture I knew someone would pay for. In the beginning successes on the little things are very exciting, when that becomes routine then I think you are getting somewhere. Also something I wish I had stopped to think about is the business aspect. Someone on here said a long time ago (I've been lurking for a long time and finally registered) that it is 90% business skills and 10% photography skills to stay in business and that is so true. I laugh now looking back at what I thought was a business plan back when I started and how much more complex it is than I originally thought.

I think you're ready when you understand the fundamentals of photography-aperture, shutterspeed, iso, the light meter inside your camera and how to use all these items to get the right exposure. When you can shoot raw in manual mode and its an automatic thing for you. When you dont have to think about the fundamentals because its ingrained. Understanding depth of field, and focal distances. When you have the experience and know how to use software programs such as photoshop/lightroom to fix anything image issues if needed.

5 years ago I plunged right in with my first ever slr did my first wedding within 2 weeks of getting that camera-I look back 5 years later and think to myself what was I thinking although the bride was in a pinch her photographer backed out and she couldn't afford $2000 for a new photographer-she begged me and against my better judgment I relented. She was extremely happy with her images recommended me to her maid of honor who did hire me a year later for her wedding but to this day I wished I had waited until I fully understood the fundamentals of photography and how everything relates to everything, knew my camera better-those images would have been even better. I can see all my mistakes when I look back at my first 3 weddings and I am very much a perfectionist so it really bothers me even now. But that's just my two cents. You have to take the plunge at some point!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

After about 25 years, I still don't know that I'm ready... when I take on a job I have never done. :)

If you can get good shots (well framed, well exposed, etc) consistently and someone wants to pay you, you are ready. If the good shots are more accidents than anything else, you are not.

I felt that I was ready when I made sure that I prepared to get the job done. Specifically, I didn't start charging until I had backup equipment on hand.

When my pictures were on demand (After a few years of learning/practicing of course). If people ask for your services, that means you have a market for your services. be prepared and you should be allright. I like what CCericola said. I like the fact that your are your own boss.

I laugh now looking back at what I thought was a business plan back when I started and how much more complex it is than I originally thought.

What do you think a good business plan entails? Is there anything you know now that you wish someone had told you when you first started?

There are a ton of things I wish I had known! Here are some:

A good business plan, IMO, will start with where you are today and progress to where you want to be over time. It will include the money, time, resources, etc. you are going to be dedicating to growing your business and cover every minor detail. You need to account for all of your expenses, not just the obvious ones. Things like mileage, drive time, wear and tear on your vehicle, insurance, taxes, licenses if applicable, print costs, shipping costs, I could go on and on.

You need to have a solid plan on how you are going to grow. Will you rely on free advertising and word of mouth or have a dedicated advertising budget? (word of mouth is much better, but also takes longer and you have to initially have your name out somehow). This needs to be reevaluated periodically to see what is working and what isn't. I have been really surprised by what has helped the most and what has tanked that I thought would go over well.

You need a solid price structure. Even if you feel shy about asking a price for your services remember that if you don't value your work and time no one will. In the beginning I did free sessions to get clients. I got burned more than once. Then I resolved to never do free sessions again, except for charity work that has clear cut expectations, and realized that when people have some money invested, even if it is a trivial amount, they have a different tone to them and are much easier to work with.

Find your own little corner of the photography world. There are some people who successfully work in many areas, such as seniors, family and product photography, but typically the more defined your specialty area is the more time you can devote to honing your skills in your craft. This was a huge on for me. In the beginning I took every client that called. As I have grown I have learned the value in having a trusted local photographer whose work I respect to pass on the clients I don't want to do (for example, I don't do seniors so I send them to someone who in return sends newborn clients my way).

I'm sure there is a ton more, but you get the idea.

Most reactions

Back