How did you learn...

Originally, self-taught. Back when I first became interested and had a real 35mm camera to work with (purchased in an Army PX in Viet Nam, March 1968), i read an article that said, basically, "Here's how to learn photography: Use a notebook and write down everything about each shot - lighting, time of day, film used, shutter speed, aperture. Then look at the prints and compare them to your notes."

So that's what I did. I bought a bunch of Tri-X and started shooting. It really was a great way to learn. (Obviously, those were the days before auto focus, and auto everything else. Even before film cannisters had ISO/ASA code printed on them!)

If motion was blurred I looked at my notes and said "Ah! 1/60th second was too slow to stop the action of a kid going by on a bike." If shadows were a problem I could see what kind of lighting I'd used. If DOF was too little or too much, I knew why, because I knew what aperture I'd used.

I continued to learn over many years, and the equipment kept changing and - in some cases - getting better (certainly, more complex).

Of course, these days it's not necessary to take notes. We have metadata!

i've taken classes. I've even taught Photoshop in a University art department. And most of my work these days is teaching the basics of digital photography and Photoshop - mostly to beginners - through private tutoring and workshops I conduct.

But through it all I've learned one thing: In order to be a "good" photographer, one MUST keep learning!

Last edited:
I am so glad to see so many here were self-taught! I bought my camera back in February and haven't taken any classes. I was afraid all my questions on here looked ridiculous to the real pros!! haha!!

I was taught a little by my Uncle who does photography for a living. We shot the local sports and things like that. Then I moved away to college and did not have a camera until I just graduated. So it is a mix between self-taught and instructional from my Uncle.

"Self taught" which boils down to taking pictures, asking for feedback on them, researching various topics, etc. This is not a past tense thing... I'm always learning and suspect I always will be.

I have learned a lot from the folks on this forum.
Same here, take shots, get feedback and use the net a LOT to research things!

There's always something new to learn and thats half the fun :D

I did alot of reading of books, magazines, and the internet. Not only shooting but using photoshop. I've always had an eye for photos but the more I shoot the better my images look. I've become pretty profecient in both.

In Self-training since Sept. 07. LOVE this forum.
Tons of bookmarked websites.
Still using a bloody p&s!! :(

Started out in high school 25ish years ago, a bit of formal coursing, LOTS of trial and error, LOTS of reading and researching... several years of understudying (can't reall call it an apprenticeship) with a very skilled photographer friend of mine on everything from 8x10 view camera to a 500cm outfit, Rollei TLR, and lots of 35mm... Here I am in 2008 still learning. Agree with the others; this is board is a great tool!

I started out back in grade 11 (little over a year ago now) with my Fujifilm S700. Just went around and took pictures of everything, then learned about all the fun you can have with the manual settings. Used that camera until it was time for my first DSLR, which I got maybe 2 months ago.

But I learned everything by trail and error. I also used help from a few photo forums like this, with the C&C (which is a huge help! thanks guys!)

I am now trying to decide if it is really worth my time and money to take a photography course at a local community college.

Started at 13 years old. Self-taught. Lots of research and reading and practicing.

I started out as self-taught. I was taught studio lighting basics by the owner of the studio that hired me and I have continued to learn more by attending workshops both associated with the PPA and non-affiliated workshops such as Supershoots. I continue to learn every time I press the shutter release.

Took lots of bad pictures, and some good ones. Looked at what I did on the good ones, and made a point of doing that more often. Bought books and, more recently, spent lots of time on the web finding new ways to take the good ones.

I started the beginning of this year and have been self taught. Hope to go into Ohio State Universities Photography program.

Well my parents swear i started when i was 4, i always had a camera in my hand and even if it didnt have film in it i would act like im taking pictures, well once high school came I started getting into it. And now thoroughly enjoy photography and jump at any chance i have to do it or learn something new. the key to photography ive found, is that you dont really "need" to go to school. I have a couple friends who went to SCAD and RISD for photography and they only take like 1 actually photography class a symesster. plus everything they are learning now ive known for years, and where they only really shoot for work in class. I shoot all the time and enjoy it immensly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back