How did you name your business????

There is a great book (and an easy read) called "Selling the Invisible" by Harry Beckwith. It's all about marketing in the services industry, and photography is definitely a service profession. Here are some of his 'rules' about business names:

- Don't get funny with your name.

- Don't choose a name that describes something people will expect from the business.

- Be distinctive - and sound like it.

To quote: "An ordinary name implies just another service. A distinctive name implies a distinctive service - just the impression a service should make."

Consider LensCrafters, for example (mine, not one or Harry's). This tells you something about what they do (they make lenses - which somewhat implies, or is at least consistent with, making eye-glasses), with a large 'hint' about their ethos (they don't just make glasses, they craft them).

I've always have had a fascination with ravens. I love to watch them. I also have a fair amount of Alaska Native blood in me (Aleut). The raven, in old stories, tells us that the raven was the bringer of light. Since photography is dependent on light, it made sense to me. It clicked, as I clicked my shutter as I photographed a raven, flying against the sun. Raven's Sun Photography was born.

My business is called "Candid Momemts Captured". The tag line is "Event and Portrait Photographer". What do you think?

My business is called "Candid Momemts Captured". The tag line is "Event and Portrait Photographer". What do you think?

I think you should make sure it's spelled right before ordering your cards

****! Thanks for pointing that out! I already have cards, and I promise they are spelled right!

It’s really hard to explain, you’ll get the name yourself and when you do, it will feel right.

I don't have a biz. But I have 2 books and am doing a few more. I asked people for titles and went with one of the suggestions.

I go by the name Beaker Photography (though my business isn't incorporated just yet :) ). I chose this one for a couple reasons. It was a nickname given to me by a manager at my high school job (because of my big nose, lol) and thinking he was insulting me it actually stuck and I embraced it. When picking a name to go with for my business, I figured it was short, easy to remember and can brand myself if I felt like expanding my business. I looked at a lot of competition in my market and most photographers used their own names. I figured if/when I decide to expand into other regions and hire on other photographers, it would limit me too much to use my name. People would come to expect me at their door. Worst case scenario, if I don't expand and stay a local studio, people can associate my business with my nickname and call me Beaker and I won't care.

Ok, so I took what you guys said, and I've come up with two vague names, Playing for Keeps Photography, and Daring Dragonfly Photography. Since I realllllly don't want to use my name this is the best I can comeup with. What do you think?

Do you want honest feedback or an attagirl?

The honest feedback is that both of those names are awful, and a very bad idea for a baby and newborn photographer. The move is probably going to be your name. Ask yourself why you have such an aversion to it, and hopefully get past it.

There's a reason a massive majority of photogs use their name in their business title...

Ok, so I took what you guys said, and I've come up with two vague names, Playing for Keeps Photography, and Daring Dragonfly Photography. Since I realllllly don't want to use my name this is the best I can comeup with. What do you think?
So you are trying to convince someone to hire you create amazing images for them. I'm sure your argument is, because of your unique talent and expertise in this area you will deliver a much better product than if they tried to do it themselves. So obviously you are struggling with naming/branding, a discipline that also requires unique talent and expertise. I find it rather paradoxical that you are unwilling to seek out a professional in this area to help your business.

Most reactions

Back