How difficult is it to get a good TLR?

birket

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You may have seen my other thread about receiving a yashica mat that has a scratch on the lens. In the hope that eBay will act on my side and enforce the seller to give me a refund, I decided to bid (and win!) a rolleicord IV.

Well, I've just received the rolleicord and have found tha shutter speeds below 1/10 second stick. I guess this could likely mean that all shutter speeds are out.

is it actually possible (without spending a fortune) to get a good quality TLR? With no second hand camera shops in my local area, I only have the Internet to buy from.

should I instead go for a bronica etrs or something like that?

You are looking at a 60 year old camera. Best to have it cleaned-lubed-adjusted. Essex in New Jersey used to do this, but are closed due to the storm.

You might try KEH: they did a great job on a Leica CL for me.

You may have seen my other thread about receiving a yashica mat that has a scratch on the lens. In the hope that eBay will act on my side and enforce the seller to give me a refund, I decided to bid (and win!) a rolleicord IV.

Well, I've just received the rolleicord and have found tha shutter speeds below 1/10 second stick. I guess this could likely mean that all shutter speeds are out.

is it actually possible (without spending a fortune) to get a good quality TLR? With no second hand camera shops in my local area, I only have the Internet to buy from.

Unfortunately many people sell vintage cameras on eBay who know little or nothing about them. To them, if a camera looks nice then it's "in excellent condition" even though its lens may be full of fungus and its shutter may be all gummed up with old lubricants, etc. And, it's often pointless trying to get some straight information from them about the camera before buying. Fortunately, on eBay you have a return privilege.

When buying on eBay only buy from sellers who specialize in used film cameras. People who seem to know these cameras. If you see a camera you are interested in, ask the seller questions (before bidding) about such things as the cleanliness of the lens, the shutter speeds, condition of light seals and so on. Ask also if the camera has had any servicing recently. But, even then you are taking something of a chance -- that's part of the buying game.

I buy (and sell) lots of cameras on eBay but I can do many basic service actions myself so it's usually not a big deal if a camera needs a bit of work. I also only buy those cameras which I've worked on before or for which I already have spare parts for, etc. But, even so, I sometimes get fooled and receive a camera that is in far worse shape then the seller indicated and I simply return it for a refund.

There would be no less chance of problems with a Bronica (or similar camera) when bought online. A Bronica is much more complex then, say, a Yashica TLR so chances of problems would only increase.

shutter speeds below 1/10 second stick. I guess this could likely mean that all shutter speeds are out.

Not necessarily, the slower speeds operate with a different geared mechanism than the higher speeds ... which I think are spring loaded.
Sounds like it needs a CLA.

I've got a good TLR that I am going to sell soon (as I have too many now).
Ricoh Diacord G

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/collector-s-corner/268775-latest-addition-my-tlr-collection.html

I just need to reglue the front leatherette as the self adhesive is not so good.
I shot a roll through it, but I have not developed it yet.

Send it in for a service, my C330 was perfect it cost me £150
You could buy a new one http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/13...nalog-tlr-cameras-fx-n-to-debut-at-photokina/

Try here for a CLA The Studio Workshop, Classic Repairs, Unit 1K, Leroy House, 436 Essex Road, London, N1 3QP

Last edited:
is it actually possible (without spending a fortune) to get a good quality TLR?

As compur stated, many internet sellers of old cameras picked them up from estate or garage sales ... and they know little about them except what they google.
A seller that specifically states that they tested all shutter speeds for accuracy, or that it had a CLA, etc. is one that deals with cameras and knows that older ones will have issues.

Like compur I buy cameras that I can do my own repairs on ... I usually have an expectation that there will be something that is not 100% because of its age.

Try firing it at 1/2 second for a while. Like sit down to watch a couple of hours of TV and cock and fire it two or three times a minute. A lot of the time those old shutters have their grease harden and it needs to be exercised.

If it's bad you may need to fire it off a few times before running a roll of film through it, obviously you'd have to finish a roll every time you took it out to shoot, in which case you'd be better off to get the CLA.

Bronica's are fine cameras too but you'd still be taking a chance if it hadn't been CLA'd as well.

I've had a quote of £68 to get the camera serviced by JP in Edinburgh. I am hoping that the ebay seller will split this cost with me, or accept a refund (the camera cost me £77 plus postage).

I've had a quote of £68 to get the camera serviced by JP in Edinburgh. I am hoping that the ebay seller will split this cost with me, or accept a refund (the camera cost me £77 plus postage).

They are going for about £150 on ebay (and you could still have a slow shutter) so £77 + £68 CLA is fair and you will have a camera that is spot on, you could buy a Leica M for £1500 and it still could need a CLA

Honestly? They're relics. Just too many age-related problems now. Many will say a CLA will cure all but a competent job(not all that easy to find)can easily double the price of that slightly lame TLR. Unless you can find one locally from a trusted seller, just walk over to the newest medium format system camera you can afford.

I see a lot of good advice here:

It's a fact, the slower speeds are on a separate mechanism on spring loaded shutters. The higher speeds may be fine.
Sometimes exercising a spring fired shutter will lossen them up, but you also stand a chance of doing further damage

The Bronica ETR-S is a bird of a different feather. The ETR-S uses Seiko electronic shutter. The shutter will fire mechanically at it's max speed of 1/500 even without a battery but shutter speeds are controled electronically.

Most reactions

Back