How do I achieve these looks?

darkookrad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What I mean is, how do I get such a soft palette of colors?

http://37.media.tumblr.com/0b28fab147591e578280cd86a68a9ebc/tumblr_mwxlv26N0T1qhvsd6o1_1280.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/8a42adbff48865dd05040e4c8ac98faa/tumblr_n4nycnoSU51r4ueyro1_500.jpg

I think people refer to this as 'hipster' or something but I just want something soft.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbe7fbcBEp1qbsg6oo1_1280.jpg

http://s5.favim.com/orig/54/hipster-photography-skate-skateboard-Favim.com-524925.jpg

Also, what is the light to the right? Sometimes it comes in as red, and I've done this once accidentally.

Thanks ♥

In addition to time of day considerations, when the sun is low, the first 3 shots are all back lit. Back lighting means that the subject is lit from behind, rather than (conventionally) from the front. Taking pictures of people when they are back lit requires either some exposure compensations or additional front lighting...otherwise their faces would be dark. This happens most frequently when someone has their camera on "auto" and is taking pictures of someone, say, in front of a monument or other attraction but the primary lighting is from behind the person(s).

In the first two pictures, the photographer intentionally wanted to create back lit shots. The camels and riders being all dark only adds to the interest of the photograph. Ditto with Big Ben. In each case, the photographer had to be fully knowledgeable and used the photography exposure triangle to his advantage.

Perhaps the biggest problem that I and most other amateur photographers face is to -recognize- that what I want to photograph is a back-lit situation. I recently took some pictures of a small group that were backed up to large windows and until I saw the results of my first attempt on the LCD, I hadn't realized it was back lit, as the interior lighting seemed adequate. But...as I was in Tv mode (to keep my shutter speeds sufficient), the meter in the camera saw the strong light from the windows and set the exposure based on that lighting. What I did was to go to manual mode and open up a 1/2 stop and bump the ISO to get more exposure without using a flash. The result was the windows were 'blown out' and essentially all white. I also took a couple of shots using my flash to light their faces and keep the world outside the windows still properly exposed. Knowing what to do and how to do it comes from experience. And I've blown countless back-lit situations not realizing they were back lit, and the pictures went to the trash.

As for the light bar on the last photograph, I suspect it's more likely lens flare from not using a hood and/or using a cheap filter when the sun is at a near 90 degree angle to the camera...then the picture was heavily cropped after that. For what it's worth, lens hoods can take a lot more 'beating' and bumps and bruises than a 'protection filter' ever could.

Yup, that last one looks like a light leak and redscale film.

I think what you are asking is the Matte Look. You do this by adjusting your curves and bringing the blacks down.

I think what you are asking is the Matte Look. You do this by adjusting your curves and bringing the blacks down.

Yes, it's a subtly desaturated, low-contrast look, in which the blacks are not "true black", but have a very slight "fog" over them, almost as if B&W negative film had been fogged. The light leak on the foot on the skateboard...look for "fake light leak effect" or similar.

There are a number of ways to achieve this subtly desaturated, muted color look. There are Lightroom presents that can achieve this look. It's currently pretty trendy, and it will no dounbt look dated in the future, but then, the future is a ways off, so, you know, why not live in the world of today and all. If you have Lightroom, you ought to be able to find some presets that will help achieve what you want without much effort.

Most reactions

Back