How do I approach hospital nursery to advertise and offer service?

robyn_fresh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an amateur photographer (although my official employment is with Sears Portrait Studio) and have been thinking about starting my own private photography business just to bring in some extra cash, and because I love it.

I recently had a baby at the hospital here in town and when I asked if someone would be coming in to take pictures for me, they stated that they had nobody that does that. I am thinking that if I make myself a portfolio; then I could use this to approach new moms and dad's in the hospital nursery setting and offer my services for in the hospital newborn pictures.

I think that this would, if nothing else, get me a little advertising and word of mouth business. I would assume that if I just come in as a visitor and offer my services to the new parents; I will get in troubles with the hospital staff. Does anyone know the best way to approach the hospital about this idea? Can I just come in as a visitor and offer my services?

I would make an appt with the hospital administrator and/or the nurse manager for the L&D unit itself. Hospitals will not take kindly to you just walking in and offering services to take pics of patients' babies without contacting them first. Likewise, I don't think new parents would let some stranger come in and take pics of their baby without the hospitals' backing. There are huge privacy laws involved etc. I say this because I am a nurse and I know how we hospital people think.

I would get a portfolio together, maybe advertise some free sessions on craigslist of newborn photography to build up your stash, then bring it in and see what they have to say.

I also think that it depends on your region-I am live Oregon and here, newborn photography in the hospital is unheard of.

Great idea though, I'd say go for it just have your "ducks in a row"...

Depending on where you are there is a good chance that there is someone already in the hospital doing just that. This is something you might pursue before you approach any administrators as someone might already have this already set up. This might be an opportunity for you though if they need some help but I would definately pursue this first.

YEah, I know they don't already have someone because I just had a baby there a few months ago and when I asked for the service I was told this.

One thing about the way you said that...approach new parents in the nursery...first off I think you would get on peoples nerves. I cant stand walking into a grocery store and being solicited in the parking lot, I cant imagine being in a hospital nursery and having somebody approach me trying to sell me something. I just think if you take that approach thats what you look like, somebody waiting around trying to make a buck. Your best bet might be to have an agreement with the hospital where they put a sign up in the nursery with your contact info...and you could work on call that way.

I think most hospitals (and this may be different for L&D departments) have fairly strict no photography rules. I think though, if you were to advertise such a service, new moms would eat it up. Your best bet is to work directly with the director of the department you want to enter. They would probably see it as a liability in all honesty, but it is definitely worth a try. Don't waste your time talking to nurses and doctors, go directly to the department director.

I think most hospitals (and this may be different for L&D departments) have fairly strict no photography rules. They would probably see it as a liability in all honesty, but it is definitely worth a try.

This. Don't bother looking for approval. It won't happen. You would be way too much of a liability for the hospital.

If you're truly interested in targeting this market, get them before they enter the hospital, i.e. ask to leave your card at the OBGYN offices of the doctors in that hospital's group, Lamaze classes, etc.

Most reactions

Back