How do I clean my lens?

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What can I use to clean the outside of my lenses? I've been so afraid to damage them that I've been trying to wipe them clean with only a tissue, and it's not working.

Also, should I ever try to clean the mirror inside the camera, or can I run the risk of misaligning it?

Thanks! :heart:

unless your mirror is totally smudged up I would not suggest touching it at all. As far as your lens goes get yourself a good lens cleaning kit use the tissue provided start with one moistened with the fluid provided wipe the lens good then wipe it with a dry tissue.

For your lens all you need is one of those cloths from your sunglass case.

I can't stand those micofibre sunglass cleaning things. I find the lens wipes work a lot better.

First, blow any material off the glass with a squeeze bulb. If you use an office duster, make sure NO material (liquid) comes from the can onto the lens.

Then use lens tissue and cleaner. I've always used a circular motion when wiping the lens.

Pete

I usually just use a clean cotton t-shirt...or a clean spot on the shirt I'm wearing. I think that regular tissue is not good to use...because it's a paper product and is more apt to scratch the surface.

That being said, the coatings on modern lenses is very tough. You shouldn't have to worry too much about cleaning it.

I usually just use a clean cotton t-shirt...or a clean spot on the shirt I'm wearing.
When I do that I can hear the glass squeaking like crazy, make sme think that microscopic scratches are being put into the element. I know that wouldn't effect the picture but it couldn't be good, and over time it could get potentially cloudy.

Haven't you ever heard of 'Squeaky clean"? :lol:

I don't know...a fresh 'lens cloth' is probably best...but I've hand some 'lens cloths' that left lint behind. I've had several photographers say that the use cotton...and eye doctors say the same for glasses.

Most reactions

Back