How do I combine 2 photos using FX labs? Easier in ps?

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tone mapped this photo, but the tone mapping made this person look horrible, so I want to have the original person but the tone mapped background/everything else.

Does anyone use photo fx labs? If so, what are the steps to do this? Should I just spring for photoshop? Would photoshop elements be enough to do what I want to do?

Also- it looks like if I put her straight in to the tone mapped version, she might be too "white/ghostly", so I am all confused as to what I should do. If you guys want to try an edit that combines them, please feel free. I would love to see how an expert would do it.

DSCN2751 by Parker219, on Flickr

DSCN2751_tonemapped by Parker219, on Flickr

I would 'dial down' the tonemapping process and make an image somewhere in between the two.

Then it's a matter of selecting her, copying & pasting.

Yeah, I over did the tonemapping to see if I could just make 2 layers and dial down the opacity, but it didnt work, she still looked bad.

^I have tried doing that in fx labs, but all I get is a white and grey checker marked area, I feel like I am close, but I just cant do it. I have been trying for an hour and a half.

I am starting to get frustrated.

Does anyone have photoshop elements 11? Can this be done quickly with that? Or do I need the full photoshop?

Is this what you're after?

90% yes! She still looks "ghostly" is the best way I can describe it to me. But maybe I can selective edit her now that I have the background I want.

Thank you very much.

$Low-Res.jpg

I think this will be my final version for anyone that cares. Low res-jpeg. Thanks again Sparky.

^I have tried doing that in fx labs, but all I get is a white and grey checker marked area, I feel like I am close, but I just cant do it. I have been trying for an hour and a half.

I am starting to get frustrated.
In image editing software a gray/white checkered area indicates that area is transparent, and any edit will not apply to that area of the image.
So if all except the girl is selected, the girl's form would be a gray/white transparent area.

Selections can usually be 'saved'. So if you select the girl save that selection. On retrieving the selection of the girl there is likely an Inverse option that then select all except the girl.
When the girl is selected, she can be edited separately from the rest of the image.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back