How do I convince homely looking people that my photos are good?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I recently I had to do about 100 head shots of fellow employees for some system thing. Anyways the photos came out great IMO, well lit, sharp etc.. but apparently about half of the people (women) didn't "like" them so I am doing a second session to redo them and get additional people who didn't make it.

I've asked each one of them to let me know what they didn't like about their photo and we can try to work on it. The top answer was, "I just don't like my picture being taken" or "I am old" or "I just don't like how I look''.

I shot with a soft light to lessen things like wrinkles and even did post to remove zits and lighten teeth.

I feel frustrated that I can't make these "clients" happy.

p.s. this wasn't a glamour session, more like an assembly line.

1, Were you payed?

2, Are the things they didn't like their natural features?

3, Were you payed?

If they didn't pay, I wouldn't re-do anything.

1, Were you payed?

2, Are the things they didn't like their natural features?

3, Were you payed?

If they didn't pay, I wouldn't re-do anything.

1. As a facet of my job I handle all the company's photography needs. Thus making people (some in very high positions) happy is important to the health of my career.

2. Yes. They ugly. Or just didn't want to smile or have anything but a lobotomy look on their faces.

3. After all this I certainly don't get paid enough.

Bottom line, you can't make everyone happy. If it was a work thing and they were forced to do it, you don't have a chance. If they were coming to you or paying for it, you might please most of them.

Did you have them pose in the approved fashions? Thrust the chin, tongue on the roof of the mouth, loosen/drop the jaw?

Some people just hate their own pictures, though. With 100 people, you're gonna get some unhappy ones.

Ok so I recently I had to do about 100 head shots of fellow employees for some system thing. Anyways the photos came out great IMO, well lit, sharp etc.. but apparently about half of the people (women) didn't "like" them so I am doing a second session to redo them and get additional people who didn't make it.

I've asked each one of them to let me know what they didn't like about their photo and we can try to work on it. The top answer was, "I just don't like my picture being taken" or "I am old" or "I just don't like how I look''.

I shot with a soft light to lessen things like wrinkles and even did post to remove zits and lighten teeth.

I feel frustrated that I can't make these "clients" happy.

p.s. this wasn't a glamour session, more like an assembly line.

Join the club. There is no making people happy.

Did you have them pose in the approved fashions? Thrust the chin, tongue on the roof of the mouth, loosen/drop the jaw?

Some people just hate their own pictures, though. With 100 people, you're gonna get some unhappy ones.

Yup, the whole nine, not sure if anyone followed my direction.

Sample of yours truly to give you an idea of the lighting.

$mesample.jpg

I suggest bringing props. An awesome hat of some sort, and a medium sized black sack with a good drawstring.

I was told in school my job would be to make people look better than they actually do. I'm not very good at making plain people look good unless I can engage them in conversation about something they like and get their head away from the image I'm trying to make. Almost a candid shot works-if you can get it. In my opinion that situation is not about the technical aspect,more like portraying them as they are when relaxed. Not an easy task if you're not blessed with the gift of gab.

That's all I have. Good luck.

Use portraiture pro and make their skin look plastic.

Also, more lens flare... added in post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back