How do I edit shadows?

Sugarr543

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking a few photos of my kiddo today just to get an idea for the different settings of my camera. I'm just wondering a good way to edit those shadows behind him from my flash? I'm using Photoshop Elements 4.0 Better yet, how would I avoid them when taking the pictures? What's the best way to photograph on white backgrounds? Thanks!

Any tips are appreciated, I know I have a long way to go. :)

IMG_0457.jpg

Are you using on camera flash? That tends to happen when you use on camera flash.

Try taking it with out the flash and light it some other way :)

constant lighting helps...you light the background as well as the subject..

but for this situation..I'd say just shoot without flash if you have enough light.

I would say the first thing you would want to do is get your subject further away from the background, this will allow more light to "wrap" around. If you only have the built in flash, invest in a flash unit, this will help you bounce your flash or use a diffuser so the lighting is not so harsh. Then there is constant lighting where you can position one or more lights with or without the use of reflectors to get the lighting just right. There are many decent books on lighting techniques.

I don't know anything about Elements, but with Photoshop you can get rid of the shadow by using the clone tool or healing tool. I did an edit of your picture but I cannot post it because you have not enabled "My Photos Are OK to Edit".

Other techniques include using a diffuser on the light, or bouncing the light off ceilings or walls. Definitely move the lil guy away from the backdrop a bit as well.

Cute little tyke ya got there.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I enabled my photos to be edited. I was just using my camera flash. The lighting in the house is flourescent and doesn't help much. Does anyone have some cheap ways to light up my room a little better? I will definitely scoot him away from the background, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks again!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I enabled my photos to be edited. I was just using my camera flash. The lighting in the house is flourescent and doesn't help much. Does anyone have some cheap ways to light up my room a little better? I will definitely scoot him away from the background, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks again!

I would really invest in a flash unit if nothing else, like I said you would be able to bounce the flash, plus if you add a reflector you will have a lot more options. Here is the little edit I did, I also removed the shadows under his right hand and arm.

IMG_0457_c.jpg

Thanks, that turned out great. I need a lot more practice with editing. I would love to invest in a flash unit eventually, but it's just not in the budget right now, lol. Thanks for the help!

Another problem which does not seem to have been mentioned is that backdrops should not look so obviously like backdrops. It makes the shot look too contrived and artificial, even if that is not the case.

I tend to use shallow depth of field and velour or velvet backgrounds that do not reflect very much light or show shadows and then light accordingly.

skieur

Most reactions

Back