How do I fix this photo?

Jetskiin4evr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, So I took a panorama of a lighthouse, stitched the photos together..however I shot this by hand and it turned out to have a V shape to it. I would really like the straighten the photo out and I cant seem how to do it using CS3, photoshop elements 7, or the Flickr editor. I dont mind if it gets distorted in the process, as a matter of fact I was going for kindive going for a fisheye type view. Please feel free to edit image and post results using the link provided below.

Please help. Sorry Im a noob and I dont know how to post photos directely into threads yet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3225879573_829678e3a5_b.jpg

In CS3 I'd select the entire image (cropped fairly close, not too much white border). Then go to one of the top left buttons and look for transform and free transform. These will allow you to tweak the shape by moving points on the outside of the image. Try out the different options. I think "warp" might be what you are looking for; it divided the image into a grid, and you can move all the points. I think it'll be difficult to get this into a neat rectangle and not have to crop something important. You could also break the image up into parts, and then warp them individually, but maybe that's too complicated.

If you visit the pano/stitched groups at Flickr many people do leave their stitched photos irregular like this. I kind of like it as is. The V shape is dynamic. Clean up the jaggies along the edges, a little burn to the right side, and it's good to go!

CS4 has some sweet new feature that allows for radical tweaking of some parts without effecting others. I've seen examples showing how they transform a horizontal photo into a vert, etc... I haven't tried it out myself.

Wow, that one's going to be difficult to fix. I shoot lots of panoramics and have to do this all the time. Jetskiin4evr was right in the solution, but having done this so many times I can say I don't think this one is "fixable". When you shot the images, did you keep the camera "level"? That is did you keep it at the same angle to the ground? It almost appears that you had the camera one way on the left-hand side of the image and angled it as you moved around to the right-hand side.

Don't be afraid to shoot these by hand though. I have read many opinions on this. Some say you need a $1,000 tripod head to make it work, but I've done tons of these by hand and they look fine. Yes, the head may help and technically they may be better, but I'm happy (and clients as well) with the hand-held versions.

Love the panoramics... keep trying!

Thank you Ksmattfish, The warp is what I was looking for, I tried to use it earlier but it was locked (which I figured out later is that the image needs to be flatened!) Thank you.

Not too bad...
LowLighthouse.jpg

Most reactions

Back