How do i focus with macro and telephoto?

Zabimaru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just borrowed a Macro lense and Telephoto lense from my college. I've never used either before and i wanted to try them out, my first major problem is i can't seem to focus with them.

I'm using;

Nikon D90 DLSR

Sigma 105mm Macro lense
AF Micro Nikkor 70-180mm

any help is appreciated. :)

Can you be a bit more specific with the problem? Are you using automatic focus or manual? Are you getting them into where you think they should be focused, but not coming out that way?

Ok with the macro - when dealing with macro subjects - be they closup shots of the head of a screw or bees the best way to focus is manually. Make sure the lens is in MF mode (manual focus mode) by checking the MF/AF switch on the side.
Once in that mode set the focus to the level of magnification you want (it should be marked on the lens itself - true macro is 1:1, whilst things such as flowers and butterflies tend to work better with 1:2 magnifcation due to their size) Then find a subject, now to focus halfpress the shutter button, get in close to the subject and then rock slowly back and fourth to get focus where you want it to be - once its there press the shutter button all the way down. Halfpressing beforehand means that when you fully press you add less handshake.

Auto focus does not work well with macro since its very easy for it to get lost and start hunting.

Sorry for not being more specific.

My D90 has an auto focus switch on both the body and the standard zoom lense that came with it. I have no problem focusing with the standard lense on either manual or auto.

The Macro Lense;

This has an AF and an M setting for focusing. It's different from my standard lense though as it isn't a switch. You have to slide a piece of the lense down to select which setting you want to use. I've uploaded a picture to show you what i mean.

DSC_0200.jpg

The Telephoto lense;

DSC_0202.jpg

I can't get either of them to focus on manual or automatic. No matter how i turn the "dial"(probably not the right term) the image through the viewfinder is constantly blurred.

btw can someone explain what this little switch is for(limit/full). As you can see i'm a complete noob to all of this,

DSC_0204.jpg

could this be the motor issue with some Nikons?
I know some of them won't AF with certain kinds of lens - and the 105macro is one such lens (its the lack of HSM focusing drives in the lens I think)
regardless missing AF is not a problem when working at macro subjects and ranges - of course when using the lens for anything else its a little bit of a pain

If your using manual focus, make sure the camera is also in manual focus mode, if not, it may cause problems.

for the sigma... you are pulling the focus ring inward to the mf position right?

if it's in the af position you can't override the focus.... and then.. do as overread says.. .focus manually..

Thanks for all the help.

I can focus manually with both now, however the autofocus doesn't work at all on either :(

Still don't know what that other switch is for though(limit/full)

the limit/full is for auto focus and it cuts out a section of the fousing ring used for focusing. I don't know the lens itself, but it will most likley cut out the macro focusing ranges - meaning if you are auto focusing and the lens starts to hunt it won't have to go through all the close focusing section - thus its faster AF.

As for the lack of auto focus - I really think this could be the motor thing with lenses and nikons - but I just don't know which cameras are affected specificaly

the d90 has internal focus motor so this shouldn't be an issue... keep playing

It seems the autofocus does work. However i needed to change this dial at the bottom to 32. I'm assuming the dial is for the apperture but i don't understand why you would have control over the apperture on both the lense and through the cameras manual controls.

At the bottom of this pic is the dial i was talking about.

DSC_0200.jpg

yes ... this is normal.... aperture has to be at this setting for the camera to assume control... the d90 should tell you that this instant you power up with this lens mounted if not at f32

Most reactions

Back