How do I get longer (>1 second) exposures? I own a Nikon FM2N.

WhiteRaven22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own a Nikon FM2N manual film camera, as well as an assortment of old manual lenses for it. I really like this camera due to it's high top shutter speed (1/4000 of a second), but I really wish I could go slower on the other end of the shutter dial. Is there any way to take longer than one second exposures with a Nikon FM2N, and if not what other manual 35mm cameras might be better suited for this purpose?

Just remember to factor in reciprocity failure when your exposure is 1sec or longer. There is a great iPhone app that will help with that.

what other manual 35mm cameras might be better suited for this purpose?

The Nikon F2 is a manual camera that can do shutter speeds up to 10 seconds by using its self timer.

There aren't many manual cameras with shutter speeds greater than 1 second but many cameras with electronic shutters can do this such as the Nikon FE and FE2 with their 8 second shutter speeds and many others.

Can you shoot in bulb mode and get a shutter release cable?

HERE is the cable release you really want to own for an FM-2: The Nikon AR-3.

Nikon AR-3 Mechanical Cable Release for D100 & Other 664 B&H

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Just remember to factor in reciprocity failure when your exposure is 1sec or longer. There is a great iPhone app that will help with that.

I don't own a smartphone, but I will definitely be wary of the Schwarzschild effect (if no other way than by experimentation).

The Nikon F2 is a manual camera that can do shutter speeds up to 10 seconds by using its self timer.

There aren't many manual cameras with shutter speeds greater than 1 second but many cameras with electronic shutters can do this such as the Nikon FE and FE2 with their 8 second shutter speeds and many others.

The F3, while not mechanical, will do crazy long metered exposures.

Long exposures with the Nikon F3 and other Nikons? - Photo.net Nikon Forum

If the shutter release cable option doesn't work out, I will definitely keep these in mind.

Most reactions

Back