How do I get my pics to look like these?

cdnaiphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love the effect on this picture..how do I do this...

This picture is Mullins Photography. Her link is mullins-photography.com.

untitled.jpg

Last edited:
You shouldn't post other people's work in the forum. Just post a link.

First I observe the sky and guess that it was probably not achieved with a polarizer when the photo was taken. There are no shadows which are typical of polarizer days. The sky lighting does not match the foreground lighting. I am particularly attracted to the vertical "tree trunk" below her right hand. It comes from nowhere and goes nowhere. Also the space between the logs beneath her right foot. A very odd color and density. It almost looks like a fake back drop with a real log.

Regardless of fake or real background (I say fake) It is dark in the corners and not the middle. Therefore I would approach getting the sky to look like this with software. It looks like I would need the large circular selection tool -inverse and only catch the top corners. then lighting - brightness - darken

The rest of it looks rather ordinary point and shoot. The colors are not particularly bright. And it seems to lack sharpness.

She is also happily barefoot. The places I have been with this kind of wooded mess have all been muddy dirty places. Places a barefoot bride in white would never go. I say it is done in a studio

Last edited:
First I observe the sky and guess that it was probably not achieved with a polarizer when the photo was taken. There are no shadows which are typical of polarizer days. The sky lighting does not match the foreground lighting. I am particularly attracted to the vertical "tree trunk" below her right hand. It comes from nowhere and goes nowhere. Also the space between the logs beneath her right foot. A very odd color and density. It almost looks like a fake back drop with a real log.

Regardless of fake or real background (I say fake) It is dark in the corners and not the middle. Therefore I would approach getting the sky to look like this with software. It looks like I would need the large circular selection tool -inverse and only catch the top corners. then lighting - brightness - darken

The rest of it looks rather ordinary point and shoot. The colors are not particularly bright. And it seems to lack sharpness.

She is also happily barefoot. The places I have been with this kind of wooded mess have all been muddy dirty places. Places a barefoot bride in white would never go. I say it is done in a studio

I learned today infact, in college that if the light measured outside was i.e. f11 and you set your flash to f11 too, it will darken the background
which I guess could cause this effect.

the tutor told us as a general rule, to stop the flash down by about 2 stops
so for f11 would be f5.6 (f5.6, f8 then f11.) if you use f5.6 your subject should be lit and your background should also be lit!

I personally, do not think aspiring to take photographs like that are particularly good as it is very grainy, under exposed and flat.
if I were to take that to college, it would be thrown in the bin.

Most reactions

Back