How do I get this brightness in the face of my subject?

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have attempted to ask this question earlier in a very vague as I myself was unclear.

Perhaps, I am able to define my ambiguity well enough. Pl. look at this insta. image by some photographer:

Photraits on Instagram: “Cuteness quotient for the day Hire your favorite Wedding Photographer at photraits! Inbox us for further details! Follow us for daily…”

Lets call the above my benchmark.

And this one by me:

3U5A4276

I want to get the same brightness (or fairness?) in my picture. What are the points I may be lacking?

1. Is my white balance not correct?

I don't use grey card. I look at the display, adjust temperature in camera and do the rest in Camera RAW.

2. Is my lighting wrong?

In my picture I have shown, I used two elinchrome strobes on both sides of the subjects using this setup - https://goo.gl/ymzrb6

Both were of same power

3. Is my basic exposure low?

4. Is the make up on the bride comparatively darker? - I want to understand the significance of make up in the complexion in photo

5. Is there something I am missing in post production?

Thanks

Your white balance seems to be fine and the exposure looks pretty good, IMO, but I bumped it up a little. I think my edit could use a little more contrast.

Nice shot, by the way.

3U5A4276.jpg

Thanks for your warm feedback @snowbear. However, I see the skin color of the subject in my picture is a little browny. I want that to be fair desperately! :(

I see the skin color of the subject in my picture is a little browny. I want that to be fair desperately! :(

But that’s her skin color. If you want a photo of a fair skinned person then you picked the wrong person to photograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you 1) give the original scene a bright, generous exposure, and then keep adding digital fill light in post software, and bump up the brightness, and lower the contrast a bit, until it looks the way your original sample looks like. That woman and girl however, appear to be somewhat light-compexioned, whereas the woman you photographed seems to have a darker makeup application and darker natural skin coloration.

As Light Guru wrote above, "But that’s her skin color. If you want a photo of a fair skinned person then you picked the wrong person to photograph." And so, there is that issue as well. But in general, the brightness of a well-exposed image can be adjusted somewhat from the RAW file, and the fill-light or shadow detail and the brightness and exposure and contrast and black point settings are ALL areas you can work on in post-processing software, to change the pictorial effect somewhat.

Thank you gentlemen! I have planned to shoot a fair girl in March. Let me check how it turns.

Put more light on the job, and use diffusers over the lights to soften them.

A lot has been said. If possible, a reflector may give you what your looking for in those situations. I can see where you may think the WB is off but there is a lot of gold in that image, giving the illusion it's off. If I was there I would be tempted to adjust the WB manually to the cooler side.

The first example has most of the light coming from above the models, as if the room had a glass ceiling, for instance. This can be mimicked by bouncing a strobe off a white ceiling.

Having the lights pointed at the model is not the same thing.

Most reactions

Back