How do I know if this works with my lens?

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by Vilatus, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everybody.

Kind of a newbie question, but I'm unsure as to how to select a telephoto attachment for my lens... I want to just buy a cheap one to experiment with. (I like to take pictures of birds, so 200mm zoom isn't always enough.)

I intend to use it on my 55-200mm lens. Do I need to select the piece for 55mm, or for 52mm, which is the size of the lens cap?

Pictures of the item I'm looking at are below. Thanks! Screenshot_20180215-105219.jpg Screenshot_20180215-105236.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    DONT get a attachement that goes onto an existing lens. Get an actual telephoto lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would but I don't have the money. I'm just doing this as a hobby, so a cheap attachment is fine for me.

4. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The size of the thread is 52mm but I agree, it's a waste of money.

5. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    here's what you do: cut the bottom of a plasic water bottle off and stick over your lens. congrats you just saved yourself $25

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The inside of your lens cap usually has a number on it which identifies the diameter of the threads that you need for any screw-on attachment.

But I agree the cheap attachments are really a waste of money. You will probably have focusing issues too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you know what else I can do? Within a reasonable price range? (Like under $300 because I seriously cannot afford more for a lens)

8. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lmao, really? Same effect? Ouch

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    These cheap attachments are not worth it. They are cheap because they are very low grade glass; chances are you'd get better results just cropping your photo than you will from using one of these attachments.

I'd save your money- even a modest 70-300mm lens would suit you. Also as you shoot Nikon there might be some older, manual focus, prime lenses that might suit your budget - though i don't know the Nikon range well enough; but someone like Derrel would be good to contact and ask. Derrel

The other option is bird feeders, a hide and getting closer. Even a simple bird feeder just outside a house window would work and you can then open the window and many birds will quickly get used to it.

So either a better lens or get closer; though I appreciate both can be expensive/tricky

10. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Look for a used lens in good condition.
    However, a used 400mm with autofocus, would be hard to find.

Cheaper but more difficult to use, is to get an older used MANUAL focus lens.
    Problems:
    #1 - It is manual focus, so YOU have to focus the lens. This is not particularly easy with a dslr's screen. If you have never manually focused a lens before, this can be difficult for some people to learn.
    #2 - You have to set the aperture and shutter speed manually. If you have a reasonable understanding of exposure, this is easy. And with digital, you shoot one shot, then adjust the exposure up or down based on that 1st shot, and repeat until you get the correct exposure.
    #3 - You MUST check the compatibility charts and look up the lens and your camera. Some combinations will not work, others can damage the camera.

Caution. For lenses over 200mm, especially on a DX body, you need to use some sort of STEADY camera support, usually a tripod. The longer the lens, the greater the magnification, and the harder it is to hold steady.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stk

stk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just bought a used, in mint condition, AF-S 70-300 VR for 230 USD. I was really lucky, here they usually go for twice that price, but I imagine that both prices and availability are better in most other places.

In my opinion this is a great lens for the price. You could also sell your 55-200 unless you really need 55 - 70mm (wich you don't), or you really need the light weight of the 55-200.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for warning me. I would rather put the money towards a nice lens.

Would that extra 100mm make a big difference in my range? I'm having a bit of trouble envisioning it. I have considered that though. And thank you for the contact!

I do plan on installing a bird feeder and getting the local birds used to me. Here's to hoping they get used to the shutter sound...