How do I NOT get my feelings hurt?

You could share some portraits of others that you have done (if you have none, get your friends to model for you or something) then start showing the pictures off to your family, and if they like how your photos come out, they may start asking you to do it for them. :)

That's just what I would do, though.

Sometimes I think it's just okay to be bummed out. I usually have a pretty thick skin about whether or not people i know and love ask me to be their photographer for whatever event. Every once in awhile though being passed over seriously hurts, especially if the person said they were planning on using you and then they don't (or if they made a big deal about wanting you and then you see pictures posted on facebook of another service... not that that ever happened to me). I just give myself a moment and then go out and shoot someone or something else exactly the way I want and feel grateful for the shots I do have.

Be glad your family is not on your case to do a lot of work for free. Who cares what your family thinks. They are either going to get it and say it's nice or (more frequently) give you a blank stare and say nothing. Not trying to be glib or something but photography (and art in general) is somewhat under appreciated.

You can fix stupid and you can't fix family. If you think that is important to you the ask to shoot other things for each person. Ask if you can shoot a family photo or use a cousin for a portrait shoot to try out some new techniques and give them some images for facebook or a printed copy to show your work. Put your self out there. You're already disappointed they aren't asking right? So ask them to take the pictures or ask them why they aren't asking. They may believe it's something your not really serious about doing photography. Do the same shoot the pros do they go to and let them pick which ones they want.

My problem is the opposite. I have friends that want me to shoot for them. Personally I never believe my stuff is good for anyone but I get compliments from them. It's just me. I have turned down two weddings and several portrait requests just because I don't have great equipment or lighting and believe I will let them down. But that's me. I do like the work I do. But it's getting out there. I finallly did a small shoot with a friend. About twenty image and he was so excited when he saw them.

You seem to feel super comfortable doing the work. That's a huge hurdle. Now, just throw yourself at your family to do the photo events for a few bucks or free. If they still aren't interested then screw them. Do what you do for other people and rub it in their noses. If they do come asking you can do it, or tell them to kiss your A$$, or even throw near professional prices at them. You don't need them to be successful. Good luck to you.

i don't think it's enough to "merely" be a photographer. has your family seen any photos that you've taken of babies? not everyone is aware of the various techniques that some photogs use for baby pictures—the baby nestled in something white or being held my mommy or daddy, also in white, with soft natural light coming from a window off to the side, etc etc. if you can show that you know how to photograph babies, then i'm sure you'll get the "assignment." haven't you ever shown photos to family members and they say, "whoa! i didn't know you could take pictures like that!"? take beautiful photos of a friend's baby, show them to your family, and make them jealous!

i was asked to take photos of cars—something i don't know much about—because i have cool pix that i took of cars in my flickr account. sometimes people really need to see what you can do.

Most reactions

Back