How do I see what setting I used for a individual picture?

KansanShooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D5100 and am trying to figure out how to see what settings I used for a individual picture. Like what the iso, aperture and shutter speed were. I see people post these numbers often when they post pics. Where do I go on my camera to see these settings? Thanks.

What software do you use to import the images to the computer? All the programs I am familiar with have an information window option where all the information associated with the image can be displayed. This information is the EXIF information that is exported with the image when uploading, allowing other photographers to see the detailed settings. Some programs strip this information on upload, while others allow you the option of keeping or stripping it.

A few ways - most editing software such as Photoshop will have an option to show you the camera settings and details. Normally under a menu option such as File. Have a look around and you should be able to find it.

Another way is to right click on the photo file itself on your computer and go to the properties option then to the Details tab. In that you'll also find a list of information (though keep an eye on what you read as it will often list things like max aperture of lens as well as the aperture used for the shot right next to each other so you want to make sure you read the right detail).

The last way is with online photos, internet browsers have EXIF readers either by default (eg Opera) or as extensions. These let you right click on photos and then see the properties of them including shooting data - though of course any photo saved with "save for web" with the EXIF data stripped or saved in other methods which reduce file side and strip the meta data - these won't have any to show.

EXIF data is what you're looking for.

Using the photo editing software that came with my camera, there is a tab or a button that says: "get info" and tells your the EXIF data. Or, right click the image thumbnails in a folder and select properties. However, I can only get EXIF data for images shot with my 60D the second way, the ones from my SX110 (point and shoot) need to be read using the Canon software.

Different brands, I know, but right click> properties should work.

You can see the EXIF on most editing software, usually by looking for the i icon. Irfanview is great for looking at it. Whatever software came with the camera will surely have it for you as well. May I assume you are shooting in Auto? If you are, make mental notes on what the camera is showing (its manual will pinpoint how they are seen and how to set it up so they remain visible) so you can ditch Auto.

Ok. I use Nikons View NX2. I was just wondering if there was a way to see this info in camera?
Thanks all.

Sure. See page 124 of the D5100 user's manual, which is a PDF file on the software disc that comes with the camera.

Sure. See page 124 of the D5100 user's manual, which is a PDF file on the software disc that comes with the camera.

Cameras don't come with owner manuals any more? For shame. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a full length manual in both English and Spanish with my 60D.

Ok. I use Nikons View NX2. I was just wondering if there was a way to see this info in camera?
Thanks all.

Mine is a D5000, so assuming that the basic functions have not been changed:

Press (up arrow) or (down arrow) to view information about currently selected photograph. (for D5000) first window is "file information" Second window is "overview data" Third window is GPS data (if any) Fourth window is shooting data 3, Fifth window is RGB histogram, Sixth window is highlights, Seventh window is shooting data 1, Eighth window is shooting data 2. Keep pressing the same up or down button and the sequence is repeated.

It's all in the manual.

Cameras don't come with owner manuals any more? For shame. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a full length manual in both English and Spanish with my 60D.

Yes they still come with paper manuals, just that they also come with them on disk as well.

Lol...yeah i have the pdf downloaded on my phone and computer. Have you seen that bible of a manual? Quicker to get in here and ask. Thanks again all who helped.

Nikon's compact entry-level cameras (D3100, D3200, D5100, D5200) come with hard copy Quick Guide. The complete user's manual is on disc.

If you dont get the info of the current image using the up and down arrows, you have to enable it in the options. I foolishly set my own camera to only display the most essential stuff in the beginning and later wondered why I never could get the full information on images.

Its in the playback menu (the most upper option), the 3rd option from the top (Playback display options).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back