how do we all feel when it comes to lightroom vs. CS5?

alexandermjoyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so, i figured this has been posted 43843 times but here goes... i'm a photo major and i have lightroom. i'm assuming it's necessary to get CS5 but do i need it immediately? comparing the two, i know CS5 offers completely different tools, such as HDR, all that good stuff.. but can i get some opinions on the two programs side by side? thanks!

They aren't the same thing. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Lightroom is developing and cataloging.
Photoshop CS is developing, cataloging, editing and more... LR is less than half of what PS is.
Adobe Camera Raw is the same engine as LightRoom, so you get both LR AND editing in every sense of the word in Photoshop.

I am not a lightroom fan personally only because of the colorspace it works in. Otherwise it's an amazing tool for developing and cataloging. I can do the exact same developing and cataloging in Bridge/ACR but I can work in sRGB if I want to. I can only work in ProPhoto in LR.

They aren't the same thing. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Lightroom is developing and cataloging.
Photoshop CS is developing, cataloging, editing and more... LR is less than half of what PS is.
Adobe Camera Raw is the same engine as LightRoom, so you get both LR AND editing in every sense of the word in Photoshop.

I am not a lightroom fan personally only because of the colorspace it works in. Otherwise it's an amazing tool for developing and cataloging. I can do the exact same developing and cataloging in Bridge/ACR but I can work in sRGB if I want to. I can only work in ProPhoto in LR.

so i should probably invest in CS5.. i only have elements which i can use for cloning and what not.

but thanks for the input.

Elements and LR can work perfectly together.Do you find you need to spend quite a bit of time reworking images in post? If you get them spot on in camera, then LR and elements should be all you need.

They both suck! Piknik rocks! :) lol!

What's wrong with working with Prophoto in LR? You can export in any colorspace you want. If you're working in ProPhoto RGB in Lightroom and exporting as sRGB, what's the difference?

Elements and LR can work perfectly together.Do you find you need to spend quite a bit of time reworking images in post? If you get them spot on in camera, then LR and elements should be all you need.

i feel that i don't need to do much editing. but i haven't explored near as much photography as i'd like to. but that makes sense working the two programs together.

thanks!

What's wrong with working with Prophoto in LR? You can export in any colorspace you want. If you're working in ProPhoto RGB in Lightroom and exporting as sRGB, what's the difference?

I find myself forever blowing a color channel when converting. At least one... sometimes two, but usually the reds. With the extra wide range of colors in ProPhoto I find my conversions jacked every. damn. time. Then I think I have it figured out... and screw it up again.
I am good and fast in bridge and ACR, it works for me. If there is a way to screw something up-I'll do it.

I tried Lightroom and couldn't get used to the interface.. plus it didn't seem to do anything that I can't do in Photoshop, but i've been using Photoshop since 1992.. it's just much easier because of the experience I have with it I guess.

I tried Lightroom and couldn't get used to the interface.. plus it didn't seem to do anything that I can't do in Photoshop, but i've been using Photoshop since 1992.. it's just much easier because of the experience I have with it I guess.

i guess that's the biggest obstacle.. getting used to the program. at this point i'm pretty familiar with lightroom but if photoshop really has everything lightroom does..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back