How do you adjust to "tough" clients?

LBPhotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am shooting a one year old next weekend and my "style" and their "ideas" just aren't meshing well. When it comes to photographing young children I like to have a lot of fun (smash the cake, naked babies, etc.) and they are looking for something very formal and very traditional.

I am, of course, going to give them exactly what they want, and I will shot the formal/traditional images they are looking for, but it's not going to be any fun for me.

So, I ask all of you how do you deal with these types of situations? Or, is this a non-issue and I am just taking it too personally? :lol:

VERSATILITY.
My job is to make the client happy. 90% of the time I can like 1-2 frames, out of 600 but client likes the other 598. So your job is to do what client wants and deal with their BS :D
Have Fun

I think this is a perfect situation where having quality friends in the photo industry is helpful. For me, the best route would be to refer them to a friend and fellow photographer that specializes in what they're looking for. Obviously, if paid clients are few and far between, this isn't always an option. In that case, your plan seems great. Give 'em what they want, certainly. Beyond that, you may find that once the stuff they came for is done, they'd be interested in your other concepts.

On one hand, sometimes you have to do the stuff that 'pays the bills'. Even if you think it's boring. There are a lot of photographers who make their living shooting those assembly line school portraits.

On the other hand, if you can give the client what they want, while still infusing your own creativity, then you have a recipe for success.

Maybe someday, you will so so busy that you will be fully booked with clients who are coming to you because they love your style.

Face it - it is WORK.
your job is to provide the client with desired product,
if your fun is not in the contract then assignment shoukdhave been declined

and they are looking for something very formal and very traditional.
If that's what you call a 'tough' client...count yourself lucky :lol: ;)

You know, I have seen traditional coming back in a big way. I'm not a "traditional" photographer, but I'm trying to get on that train because lately that seems where all the money is.

For instance, I have a questionaire that I give the couples asking them what style they prefer. Most check the "contemporary" box. However, when they choose the photos they want to buy, they are buying all the safe traditional stuff. The stuff I shot for "Mom".

And it seems like other photogs are noticing this trend too, so I don't think it's a regional thing.

I guess with the lower prosumer camera prices, backed with the onslaught of people going into the photo biz, people are starting to go back to the basics. They are seeming to get a lot more picky about proper lighting and soforth.

Anyhoo, as a pro, you should be able to shoot all kinds of things. Trad, contemporary, commercial, editorial.....it's really the clients shoot. Yeah, I wan't to be an Arteeest as much as the next guy, but it's not about me. It's about their needs.

Anyhoo, I hope it all works out.
Hugs!

You know, I have seen traditional coming back in a big way. I'm not a "traditional" photographer, but I'm trying to get on that train because lately that seems where all the money is.
Funny you say that, b/c I get requests for less traditional and more contemporary snapshots.

Funny you say that, b/c I get requests for less traditional and more contemporary snapshots.

But do they BUY those shots? I find the same thing happening as bennielou, strangely enough. I'll shoot the fun stuff, shoot a couple "standards", and the client usually says "Sooo cute!" to the cute stuff, and buys the standards. It's pretty strange, actually.

I guess it differs, IgsEMT. I see you are in NY, so maybe people are still looking for more artsy stuff.

I'm a nation away from you all the way in Texas. Home of the Bible Belt Buckle, the Southern Ladies, and all that. Don't get me wrong, Dallas is a happening place and home to some of the most famous rock star photogs ever, but I've seen a definate client shift over the last year.

I don't know what the deal is, but I'm seeing a big shift.

But do they BUY those shots? I find the same thing happening as bennielou, strangely enough. I'll shoot the fun stuff, shoot a couple "standards", and the client usually says "Sooo cute!" to the cute stuff, and buys the standards. It's pretty strange, actually.

Isn't that the truth? I sell a good deal on the back end, and almost always it's the traditional shots. Not just the family and guests, but the bride and groom. They THINK they are all kinds of funky, but what they seem to really want is something that reminds them of Mom's wedding. At least that is what they are buying and enlargeing.

I shoot the fun stuff too. My background is in photojournalism, so I'm not great at the posed stuff. But what do they buy? The posed stuff.

Another trend seems to be the studio shoots. I shoot primarily on location. But studio shoots seem to be making a huge come back. Weird with all the Walmart photo studios for cheap, but people seem to be getting very picky.

Which is good for us. :)

99% of my clients prefer contemporary shots in the album.
Parents albums are more traditional.

Do you do different albums for the parents and couples? Whew that is way too much work!

Do you do different albums for the parents and couples? Whew that is way too much work!
I offer what clients want. If they want 12x12 for them selves and 10x10 for parents then thats what they get. If they want 11x14 for them selves and 10x10 for parents (MORE pain in the ass for me) but that is what they'll get.

Wow, that is a lot of work. I am sure you are charging for it, but whew! I wouldn't do it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back