How do you approach a stranger on the street for a photo?

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you decide to ask for a shot?

Hi, my name is << insert your name >>, do you mind if I take your photo?

I smile, look 'em in the eye, and ask.

inevitably they're going to ask why so you might as well figure out your purpose and state it up front.

Hi, my name is slackercruster and I'm......... and I'd like to include a picture of you.

Carry business cards. This tends to put people a little more at ease and make you seem a little more legitimate and less shady. They can also help diffuse a situation if you snap a photo without asking and can sense the person is bothered by it. People may also lighten up if you offer to email them the photo. I agree that you should have an explanation ready. Tell them its for a project about the city, or even be honest and say that you are practicing on talking to strangers.

I usually hand them a card... tell them I would like to shoot them, and will send them a freebie if they email me at the address on the card. 90% say go for it... and about 50% start hamming it up! lol! I never hear from about 50% of them either...

Good feedback....Thanks!

One time I was at Little Five Points in Atlanta which has a lot of homeless, and there's one that I see every time so I really wanted a pic of him. I simply approached him, told him I'm a photographer and asked if I can take a picture of him to add to my portfolio, and in return I'd give him a few dollars. He said as long as I didn't make money off the photo then it was okay. We also talked for a couple minutes while he told me his story of how he landed on the streets of Five Points.

So basically, being nice goes a long way.

pogo.jpg

Thats an epic beard.

Smile and ask..it has worked for me almost all the time, across countries. Just a few times - people have refused, but then that's fine..right?!
Here is an article by a guy who took up a close-portraits project. He shot 100 close portraits of people on the street. I think it is very interesting. He shares his tips here: Tips for Street Portraits - Street Photography

Smile and ask..it has worked for me almost all the time, across countries. Just a few times - people have refused, but then that's fine..right?!
Here is an article by a guy who took up a close-portraits project. He shot 100 close portraits of people on the street. I think it is very interesting. He shares his tips here: Tips for Street Portraits - Street Photography

Thanks, great link!

One time I was at Little Five Points in Atlanta which has a lot of homeless, and there's one that I see every time so I really wanted a pic of him. I simply approached him, told him I'm a photographer and asked if I can take a picture of him to add to my portfolio, and in return I'd give him a few dollars. He said as long as I didn't make money off the photo then it was okay. We also talked for a couple minutes while he told me his story of how he landed on the streets of Five Points.

So basically, being nice goes a long way.

pogo.jpg

Nice shot!

I get the longest lens possible and shoot them from far away so they don't know I'm doing it. If they notice, I just say "Oh, I was shooting that XXX behind you."

I'm generally too shy to approach people. :lol:

On occasion I'll get the nerve and just walk up and ask them if they would mind if I took their picture, though the problem is that generally people get kinda stiff when you do that.

I just ask and offer my email. It usually works more often than not.

Most reactions

Back