How do you avvoid seeming rude?

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This may simply involve the term, "professionalism," but I must ask.. I've seen many pictures of both kids and adults, and many of them, unless in the modeling-type threads, are a face only a mother could love..

As a photographer, and I'm being serious, so don't react from the hip-how do you admire the homely subject and talk to the mother like the kid is good-looking, etc?

I'm not looking to belittle anyone, but I'm really asking what techniques are employed when a parent of an ugly kid comes to you and expects great shots..

I've seen several kids on here that are simply a face that only the mother could love, and they're asking for critique.. Do you look at the curtains...Do you look at the head position..What do you do?

This is a photography forum, and, 'et's face it-there are some ugly people that want pictures taken...Let's be honest... What are you techniques for judging these photos and seeming chipper about doing it...?

Thanks for the info..

Last edited:
i actually posted a while ago in a "pet peve" thread that one of my biggest pet peeves is having to take pictures of ugly people... the fact is..... parents don't think their kids are ugly.. so all you need to do is make sure your compostion is good.. if you make a "good picture" it shold be ok, because the parent thinks their kids is beautiful.. its just how it is... so, take your pictures, do your typical edits.. do as best as you can to get a TECHNICALLY good looking picture... the parent will love it

i did a shoot back in october of a family.. and seriously, every one of them got hit with the ugly stick.. they were all hideous... i edited the picture... fixed the tech side of the photos... showed them to the family.. they loved it..

hahahaha great post, thanks for the lolz.

But just pretend like you are talking to someone who has a beautiful kid. And who knows, the "uniqueness" of your model may be a positive factor in your shot.

Whether or not the person is attractive should have no bearing on you being able to give them the best photograph of that person.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Who gets to decide who is ugly and who is beautiful? Why does it matter?

As the saying goes when nervous about talking in front of a large audience - "Picture them all in their underwear."

Just reverse the thought and make sure you DON'T picture them in their underwear! :mrgreen:

The question asked by the OP is not how to PHOTOGRAPH people who don't meet the general(ized) "standard" of "pretty", but how to possibly COMMENT on photos presented by photogrpahers/friends/family members showing photos of "not-so-pretty" children HERE on TPF.
ANDS! is right, of course, in saying that, if that is your profession, you should try your very best for each and every client, no matter their looks, and give them the best photos you could possibly produce. No one has any doubts about it.

But the OP wanted to know how to possibly phrase a comment/reply/critique about a photo of a child who he thinks is ugly?

My approach: I don't comment. I keep any thoughts to myself if the predominant one should be "Oh dear, this child is ...." You know.

I don't see how rudeness is part of a critique. If you find yourself wanting to say rude things keep your mouth (fingers?) shut. A critique of a photo on a photography forum should concern the aspects the photographer is in charge of, not be a beauty contest.

That's why I said: if the predominant feeling/thoughts of the potential "critic" (commentor, replier) is that he finds the outward appearence of the photographed person displeasing, and if that feeling is so before anything else that springs to mind, he better NOT comment at all.

The attractiveness of the person has NOTHING to do with it. You *should* be discussing advice that would aid the person in what they could do to make the shot better... and it should not make any difference at all if it is a picture of a stuffed animal, a naked woman or John Merrick himself.

The same rules for making a good picture apply irrespective of WHO the subject is. Crit the picture, not the beauty (or lack of), of the subject in the pics.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Who gets to decide who is ugly and who is beautiful? Why does it matter?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...Therefore by default it is the viewer who is the one to decide. Right or wrong it is how it is, however how the viewer reacts deturmins how appropriate the decition is simply because it is such a subjective and possibly offencive thing.

My self personally, I have given up trying not to be rude, I just as soon walk away, someone else can deal with it.

For the sake of discussion, take it a step further... What if you have a phenominal photo, good comp, grat exposure, very artistic, but the subject is unattractive. Would you put it in your portfolio?
As for the original question, you'll get clients you don't find attractive. You deal with it. Money fromt he unattractive is the same as money from the attractive and someone somewhere sees that person as gorgeous. Smile, shoot, repeat. Look for the inner beauty and strive to show that. Not just with people you think are unattractive but with all your clients. If you're really stuck, look for one feature you find pretty on them. Then bring that out with your photos. And if it's someone's baby... Lie your ass off. The kid is cute. Just say it until you believe and compliment that little guy or gal because if you mess up... You will see mommy claws! Trust me, don't mess with those!

Has anyone seen the Seinfeld episode where they travel to see the new baby, and comedic gold ensues because the baby is so ugly?? It's obviously a common occurrence, and people are always dealing with it...

I don't see how rudeness is part of a critique. If you find yourself wanting to say rude things keep your mouth (fingers?) shut. A critique of a photo on a photography forum should concern the aspects the photographer is in charge of, not be a beauty contest.

Exactly. You just don't comment on their looks. Why would you anyway? So say someone posts a picture here asking for a critique. Are you going to say, "great composition, the exposure is perfect. I like the background. The kid is ugly."
No. You don't say that at all. Comment on the technical aspects, say what you do and do not like and be done with it.
Just as it is unnecessary to comment if the person is good looking, it is just as unnecessary to comment if they are not good looking.

Most reactions

Back