How do you back up?

I haven't even got to the point where I actually have a pic good enough to take off the cf card in my D70.

Another option is offsite backup with Crashplan for just a few bucks a month you can get offsite backup of all your data. Plus its offsite.
You ever tried to upload a couple gigs of data at a crack to an online storage site?

I have 30 GB of images and files uploaded to Amazon S3. I upload files often, plus we pay an extra $10.00/month for a faster connection and it makes a difference.

plus we pay an extra $10.00/month for a faster connection and it makes a difference.

As a side note, you may want to check with your ISP on that.... Most (all that I know of) residential ISP will allow you to pay for faster download speeds, but restrict all upload speeds to a maximum of about 750k.

The fact of the matter remains is that a vast majority of internet users are only downloading, and rarely upload more than very small amounts of data at a time. Since Upload and Download transfers both work on the same line.... the less "upload" transfers that are going on, the more "download" transfers go on. Buy limiting the upload speeds, ISPs can offer faster download speeds, and that is what their customers are most interested in.

In order to get faster upload speeds, you would need to pay for a premium business account, and those cost much much more than $10. If you are paying that extra $10 for upload speed, you aren't getting it.

plus we pay an extra $10.00/month for a faster connection and it makes a difference.

As a side note, you may want to check with your ISP on that.... Most (all that I know of) residential ISP will allow you to pay for faster download speeds, but restrict all upload speeds to a maximum of about 750k.

The fact of the matter remains is that a vast majority of internet users are only downloading, and rarely upload more than very small amounts of data at a time. Since Upload and Download transfers both work on the same line.... the less "upload" transfers that are going on, the more "download" transfers go on. Buy limiting the upload speeds, ISPs can offer faster download speeds, and that is what their customers are most interested in.

In order to get faster upload speeds, you would need to pay for a premium business account, and those cost much much more than $10. If you are paying that extra $10 for upload speed, you aren't getting it.

First, a brief background summary: I currently have almost 20 years of networking and network security experience including everything from small business networks to very large networks spanning offices and clients in countries / continents world wide. I have contributed hours, time and some code to many open source projects such as Apache, Mozilla, Samba, OpenOffice to name a few.

That said, I am think I am more then qualified to know the difference (and how to test) between what is a fast upload and what is a slow upload speed as compared to regular service. My ISP (I don't live in the USA) does very much indeed offer and deliver on extra download/upload speed and the slight financial cost is well worth it.

Most reactions

Back