How do you clean your camera ?

NayLoMo6C

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been cleaning my DSLR and lens for the past two years by the method of using a wet paper towel and just rubbing it all over the camera. But until most recently one of my friend's suggested using lysol wet wipes, which i suspect ain't good for the camera's exterior.

So what's your way of cleaning your kit?

(forgot to mention that I use paper towels on everything EXCEPT the lens optics and LCD screen)

Last edited:
huh you make me realize I have not cleaned my camera for over a year. (aside from the glass)

What do you use on the lens? I haven't had to clean mine yet.....do you use the cloth that you get with glasses? I dont want to try it until I find out if its ok.....

I use a damp microfiber cloth dipped in dishwashing liquid to clean the body exterior. I also wipe silcone gel on the rubber parts do eliminate discoloration or whitening of the black rubber parts

Only clean cameras when they are dirty, not to a regular regime.
I clean lenses by breathing on them and rubbing very gently with my shirt tail. But only when they need it.
In 54 years of photography no damage yet.

Baby wipes!

Dishwasher.

I leave it on the low temp. NO steam dry! This is crucial!!! I've never lost a body this way.

Tide Laundry Detergent Products and Accessories: Tide.com

Alcohol and a cotton t-shirt for the body. Q-tips for corners like the hot-shot and prism areas. Oral-B dental picks for cleaning out engravings and crud. Business cards for in-between the lens focusing ring and the lens barrel.Microfiber cloth for the eyepiece. Bulb blower inside the mirror chamber. Swabs and Eclipse for sensor cleaning.

Most reactions

Back