How do you clean your microfiber cloths?

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need to clean my microfiber cloth but I'm concerned about any residue, perfumes and other chemicals that might harm my lenses.

Do you clean your clothes? what method do you use?

Thanks

Plain, hot tap water.

I was also concerned with deposits in the city water being an issue too. if its not something to be worried about then thats fine, but theres no harm in being cautious.

$7 bucks is not something I want to spend on a new cloth regularly. thats why id rather just clean it.

I was also concerned with deposits in the city water being an issue too. if its not something to be worried about then thats fine, but theres no harm in being cautious.

You can always buy distilled water. A gallon goes a long way.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sorry Sparky but in my opinion not to use hot water because heat destroys the special fibers in these cloths. [/FONT]Put your cloths into a bucket of cool water, mixed with a very small amount of detergent (w/o fabric softeners) and allow them to soak for a few minutes. Then squeeze the cloths with your hands to work the detergent into the cloths, loosening any debris or dirt that has accumulated within the cloths. Let them soak for a little bit longer before you rinse them under running cold water. Squeeze the cloths as you do this to get any residual detergent out. Watch the running water to see when no more detergent comes out. This will indicate that they are thoroughly clean. When you are done, hang the cloths on a cloths line or someplace else that will allow it to air dry.

thanks! i'm going to get on that.

Sorry Sparky but in my opinion not to use hot water because heat destroys the special fibers in these cloths. Put your cloths into a bucket of cool water, mixed with a very small amount of detergent (w/o fabric softeners) and allow them to soak for a few minutes. Then squeeze the cloths with your hands to work the detergent into the cloths, loosening any debris or dirt that has accumulated within the cloths. Let them soak for a little bit longer before you rinse them under running cold water. Squeeze the cloths as you do this to get any residual detergent out. Watch the running water to see when no more detergent comes out. This will indicate that they are thoroughly clean. When you are done, hang the cloths on a cloths line or someplace else that will allow it to air dry.

Well, not burning hot water, but warm enough. I don't use ANY detergents..... just constant, multiple soakings. I don't throw 'em in with the laundry, I do them in the kitchen sink. No soap, detergent, softeners, etc. get near them.

Don't use microfiber cloths, or just buy new ones.
Even after washing they can trap and hold dirt particles that can scratch your lens coatings.

I highly recommend gently using disposable lens tissues instead, after blowing and brushing off dirt/dust.
Never use a cloth before using a blower and brush.

Tiffen Lens Cleaning Paper Tissue Pack Of 50 Sheets

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I get mine wet in warm water, then a dab of Dawn dish soap right on the cloth and then I work it in to suds it all up. Then I rinse really well when all done. Dawn gets any oils off the cloth and leaves no residue when rinsed well. Even your hot water from the tap should cause no damage if it's set where it should be at 120 degrees.

Most glass makers advise against using any kind of "papers" to clean lenses unless of course they are in the business of selling cleaning papers. The reasoning is that if a small bit of something is on the lens all the paper does is drag it around, not pick it up, even with a liquid cleaner. :wink:

Last edited:
I never clean my glass other then blowing off dust unless there is finger prints or some debris that may require a liquid cleaner and cloth.If I take shoots on the beach then I will liquid clean from salt including the camera as salt is so corrosive.Otherwise, the less rubbing the glass the better IMHO.

That's another thing. I took my tarmac backpack out in the rain and there's a lot of mud on it. It did it's job in keeping my gear safe but I had water up to me waist and it got mud water in my lens cloth and got mud in my pack.

So while we're at it, should I pull the section pieces out and wash it in a washer?

Just hand wash in hot water. A mild liquid detergent helps. Stay away from any powered detergents for obvious reasons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back