How do you cope with the winter photography blues?

Shoot indoors! Learn lighting. Do some still-lifes or portraits. Try table-top macro.

Indoors gets boring, I really want to play with some lights and do some macro shots but I dont have a good macro lens :(

I might play with lamps on some subjects.

You can do some nice table-top work with your 18-70. I bought a $10 wooden mannequin from an artist's supply store and have been having hours of fun with it.

huggin.jpg

man1.jpg

If you have the winter blues then why fight it? Putting your camera down when you are not interested is actually a good idea. Viewing the local art scene is a great way to keep those creative juices flowing.

I lived in Jackson, WY for years. Subzero temps (-20º) for days on end is common. I kind of got off on it. Produced some amazing photos. Keep in mind that photography is a very personal process. Only you can answer the question posted.

Love & Bass

Your right, maybe ill go out and try and shoot some winter stuff, if I lose inspiration ill put my camera down.

Im gonna go out wearing snowpants! :lol:

That's a great attitude!

Here are some ideas:

On high pressure days you will find amazing patterns in the frost hoar. Look for it assembling around colored objects like street signs and electrical markers.

On low pressure stormy days consider shooting snow drifts and wind blown snow.

Also keep in mind that photographing people in their snow gear or doing frosty things like walking past the Bank thermometer will provide an original take on the season.

Love & Bass

I moved somewhere where there is no true winter, Key West FL to be specific. Today's low was 73 F.

Yep pretty bad over here in Ft. Lauderdale too. Record heat sucks. I think it was yesterday it was 87 and we beat a record from like 1947. I hate the weather here.
TJ

The water tempers the Keys a bit more than it does the mainland, even along the coast. Our highs haven't topped the 82-83 degree mark recently.

You can do some nice table-top work with your 18-70. I bought a $10 wooden mannequin from an artist's supply store and have been having hours of fun with it.

Cool stuff, I might just try some outdoor things and tabletop things.

But not today, im going snowboarding. :lol:

im still waiting for a good snow storm to hit so i can get out there with my camera :( kinda boring till then

"Indoors gets boring, I really want to play with some lights and do some macro shots but I dont have a good macro lens :("

Get some macro filters. If the lens barrel is not super big they could be pretty inexpensive. Don't sweat all the endless technical mumbo-jumbo about a perfect lens for this or that. All that matters is does the image have impact, soul or a voice. Too much concern over perfect technique can kill creativity. Almost all of Van Gogh's paintings have a flaw(s) but they still have the power to bring tears to viewer's eyes- if they were perfectly polished would it still be true?

While working indoors have fun, if its digital try anything, let your imagination run wild. If nothing comes to mind, simply getting to work on something usually will cause a spark of curiosity for me. Usually for me nothing happens until I have been engaged in making images for at least a little while - I am open to things being revealed as I go along. Its the journey or process of working that usually shows me where to go, listen to your insides.

I am not in a climate as cold as yours, but am not that fond of being cold. That said there are wonderful things that happen in winter, the trees become very expressive when their leaves are gone- look closely and patiently with a quiet mind. The very best thing is at this time of year is the sun is at a low arc, the light is always casting wonderful shadows almost all day long.

Also it is a good season for me to work on prints in photoshop (I can always make better prints by working a good deal) and a non expressive print can eassily kill or distort the voice of a good image. If I spend a good deal of the cold months on prints, I will be more free to be outside as the weather warms when I really hate being at a desk.

You could light paint, do self portraits, or both together with or with out a tripod, slow or fast shutter, dig through the attic or shed and look for objects to photograph. Try rocks, dead leaves anything. The important thing for me is to stay in the rythm of photographing with regularity if at all possible, this keeps me engaged in an on going conversation with my work. Hope something in this entry helps.

will my d5000 be ok with temps at -3? im affraid to take it outside... :(

Your camera can probably handle more temperature extremes than you can...
If you can go out, it's probably safe for your camera. Of course, battery life will be reduced... Give your lens time to equalize with the air so it doesn't fog up...

EDIT
And since when does it get to-3 in Tulsa? :lol:

I wear coveralls, put my camera in a backpack inside a plastic zip lock bag so when I first go out it acclimates...and when I come in, the moisture collects on the bag, not the camera.

Elmer Fudd hat, scarf, coveralls, insulated boots, and snowshoes.
Winter is a great opportunity.
I only stay out for about an hour, or less if I do something dumb like step in the creek and get my feet wet.

Winter is fiercely awesome.

we are getti hit hard here in Tulsa this year. -3 with windchill right now. the news said it would get -13? but i doubt it...lol

Well, I just purchased a second sb-600 to practice strobing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back