How do you deal with Non-Cooperative clients?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Eveamlizya, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A non-paying family member? I'm afraid I would have just gone home. You have things to do, and your time is valuable. After the fact, I'm not sure what I would do now, but I would have simply let her engage the services another photographer.

2. orljustin

orljustin No longer a newbie, moving up!

That's not a client and you're not a pro photographer. It's just a situation of someone with a camera taking pictures of an annoyed eelative. Life goes on.

3. Tuffythepug

Tuffythepug No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If the scenario were to be reversed: i.e. , you showed up an hour and a half late and unprepared for the shoot what do you think would have been done or said by your "client" ?
    You have to have it one way or the other. either this is a serious photo-shoot / sitting with you controlling all aspects of it or it's just a loosey-goosey family picture outing. You were thinking the former while your "client" was thinking the latter. Grt it straight before you attempt another one of these shoots.

Also, in business and in personal life I do not wait more than 15 minutes for anyone unless I have been contacted and given a damn good excuse for the tardiness. People who routinely show up late are just being rude and feel like their time is more important than yours.

4. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your first mistake was waiting an hour and 15 minutes for her. You knew the light would be gone in that time frame. When you woke her up you should have said Done Deal. Light is gone, no can do. Next time it'll be a 150 deposit to ensure you actually get your ass out of bed. Have a nice day!

5. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are yearbooks that allow an image from any outside photographer. They have everything from no requirements to EXTREME requirements that give precise measurements as to where the head has to be placed within the frame. Believe me... it's no walk in th epark for a photographer to work with most of them. It's also no walk in the park to be the one putting together the yearbook when you are getting images in every imaginable format under the sun, hence why they finally resort to ONE photographer who does exactly the same thing with the images. My home school isn't shot by lifetouch, but a much smaller local company who does the same thing. Their work is even worse than lifetouch in most cases. However, our yearbooks are beautifully timeless. They've done THAT shot for thousands of seniors every year for the past 20 or more and they're good at it.

Can you blame the schools for making that choice? Not when you think of the average Joe who'd come in with photo of him in the back of his beat up chevy pick up complete with a blown out background and raccoon eyes because he isn't going to shell out a few hundred bucks just for a portrait sitting.

6. sarahashleyphotos

sarahashleyphotos TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no problem with lifetouch my photo by them was ok and at the time I was happy with it. I was just sharing my experience with a client of mine. I know the typical senior pose which we did. " It's also no walk in the park to be the one putting together the yearbook when you are getting images in every imaginable format under the sun" The school should inform the students once they say that they had another photographer photograph their senior portrait that it should be in a cretin format. I knew the correct format for the images since I work with the school doing candids for their yearbook as well as the prom photos every year. The photographer should also make it a point to ask the school. We just used a more modern backdrop and the school loved it. All i'm saying is it does not hurt to ask. If your client wants it then talk to the school about it.

I also did say "I think if a senior had a pro take a photo of them in their studio it would still be able to be used." I know schools would reject a image that was not taken in a studio and they should. But I also know after that experience that they do not have to use lifetouch or a company like it (which the parents don't even have to pay for). The senior I talked about did have to pay for my services.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  7. ghache

ghache No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL! are the point where she was still in bed, I would have tell her to keep her lazy ass in bed and get pictures taken elsewhere.

btw it was not a client. it was your lazy cousin.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ceejtank

ceejtank No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I feel that most people could benefit from a swift punch to the throat/face. It sucks when it happens.. but a lot of people afterwards will reflect on it and be like "yeahhh, I was kind of being a d*ck.."

• Like Like x 1
  9. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How do you deal with Non-Cooperative clients?

Easy.. I swat 'em.. or spray 'em with bug spray! Sometimes I just stomp them, if they really piss me off!

(This is one reason I prefer not to work with people anymore.. even non-clients are often PITA's!) I do love Macro, though! ;) And family can be the worst!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jaicatalano

jaicatalano TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's your cousin. Tell her you will treat her to dinner the day after tomorrow. :)

11. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

and the picture was OOF