How do you decide on your 5 favourite photos?

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This may not be an easy question. How did you decide on what your favourite 5 photos are to date. I like to think that I haven't shot my favourite all time yet, as most people would agree is a reasonable statement for themselves as well. There are several factors that can come into play, for me trying to decide after shooting for nearly four decades and having tens of thousands to choose from will be different from someone who has been taking pictures for only a year. It could be for technical reasons, emotional reasons, historic reasons, whatever, the decision is a personal one, so there is no right or wrong.

If you choose to post them, they aren't for critique, but a short reason why would be nice.

I've never tried to pick out my favorites, and I am pretty much certain that the list would change daily. Mainly for reasons you cite, sometimes the emotional connections would be more important to me, while on other days I might just really like the way the frame is filled on this one or that one, and so on.

I can and do sort in to "these are pretty good and these are not very good" and those lists stay pretty much the same.

I'm one of those who have only been shooting a short time, I can't even fathom shooting as long as you have and trying to narrow it down to just 5 images, I shoot so many different things, animals, landscape, macro, fine art, the odd person, pretty much anything in front of me I'll shoot, so perhaps a more focused body of work would be easier to narrow down?
When I'm choosing favourites to put together sets I go through the images repeatedly eliminating each time until I feel like the set itself is somewhat coherent, I haven't tried narrowing it down to only 5 but I may try it, it may be educational and interesting to see what I end up with.

I couldn't narrow it down to 5 if I had to. I might be able to narrow it down to 5 favorites in each category I tend to shoot, but narrowing it down to 5 overall would be impossible. That said, this is one that has been a favorite since I shot it in 2011:

2011-10-14-52.jpg

I just checked my set of favourites on Flickr and there are 68 images in it, a few could come out but a few new ones haven't made it in yet :er:

I couldn't narrow it down to 5 if I had to. I might be able to narrow it down to 5 favorites in each category I tend to shoot, but narrowing it down to 5 overall would be impossible. That said, this is one that has been a favorite since I shot it in 2011:

2011-10-14-52.jpg

This shot is outstanding.

All my favorite photos are snapshots that represent important moments in my life.

All my favorite photos are snapshots that represent important moments in my life.

Interestingly, so are mine. Now you know who that guy who's always taking pictures of you is.

I couldn't pick five because I have different kinds of images and how do you compare, for example, a portrait to an abstract? This is in addition to the fact that my evaluation of images changes with time, sometimes even over a short time.

I do. You're very very pretty.

I have a lot of "favorites" and could probably narrow down to five...as long as it could be in at least 2 separate catagories! It's hard to compare a sexy boudoir photo to a newborn photo or a even family snapshot and rate which one is more of a favorite.

I usually have one current favorite, and out of the umpty-jillion images I have, I can think of 2-3 that to ME are outstanding, but five? That would take some doing. Like Scott, I don't think I'm there yet.

This shot is outstanding.
Thanks. Given your level of experience that means a lot.

I was trying to take a photograph of an intangible subject. I'm don't remember whether the subject was "LOUD!" or "Power" but that's as close as I could get to either ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back