How Do you Do a Self-Portrait??

RawHope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How in the world can I do a self-portrait but have me totally in focus? You know, taking a picture of yourself when no one else is around? I just got a remote so I'm good there but how do you get yourself focused??

thanks.

1. Set an object where you will be standing.
2. Get behind the camera and focus to it.
3. Remove object.
4. Position yourself in the objects place.
5. Actuate shutter
6. ?????
7. PROFIT

I used a tripod, remote cable and a chair. I pre-focused on the chair, sat down and shot it. It took my a few dozen shots until I was happy with it though....but I wanted a good photo for my book and website.

Last edited:
Yeah, I obviously thought about the object idea. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't be super accurate since I couldn't place my head in the same EXACT spot as the object. I'll try it.

I did try the chair thing but I was still blurry for some reason.

Will try again...

thanks.

What's your aperture set at?

Oh duh! That's why...my aperture was very low like 3.5. DUH!! Still getting the hang of all this. I was shooting an apple at that low fstop and then went right to trying to "shoot" myself.

Hmm I would say set a chair where you are going to be and set the AF point closest to where you head will be when you sit there (maybe use some stand so that you can find exactly at what height your head will be).
Then use the remote and let the AF get a lock onto your face (single point is ideal, but for most self portraits full auto selection of AF points should work well provided you use a decent aperture rather then a very wide one like f1.8 or f4

Well, put it at around f/5 or so and reshoot. Just be really still if your shutter speed is slower than 1/100th or so.

Ok guys, thanks for the advice. I'm off to try again. I'll post it here IF it looks alright. I can't wait to master this.

Ideally as others pointed out, you want to focus on something where you will be. On the flip side to get things in the ballpark neighborhood you can measure the distance from where you will be sitting to the camera and set the lens to focus at that distance. I recently did a few self portrait shots that way and they turned out with my face in focus.

or if you use a shutter release you can sometimes half press the shutter, so focus and then take the pic.

or you can try using a broom

1. Set an object where you will be standing.
2. Get behind the camera and focus to it.
3. Remove object.
4. Position yourself in the objects place.
5. Actuate shutter
6. ?????
7. PROFIT

TEH VESTIBULE?!?

Most reactions

Back