How do you find the time?

mad_malteaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm curious as to how everyone manages to find so much time to take so many incredible pictures! I work full time, and have several other projects on the go, so by the time I get round to be able to take some photographs, it's either time to go to bed or howling rain outside!

So how do you all do it? Do you guys all work part-time or something?? LOL And should I think about giving up one of my other projects in order to make more time for photography?

Carry your camera with you! You just never know when there will be a great shot. I very rarely go out with the intension of shooting but end up taking photos anyway.

For one, always carry your camera gear with you, or if that's not feasible, at least leave your camera (with a good, medium length lens) in the car.

I teach all day, coach all afternoon/evening, and try to take care of the house for my pregnant wife. You just have to make the time. There are times when I go almost a week at a time without snapping a frame, but then I get the 'itch' and force an hour or two into my schedule to shoot. I try to plan trips to my parents' farm during scenic times of the year so that I can get some good photography while working in a family visit--multitask, in other words. Also, look for photography opportunities in things you do every day. I've stopped mowing the yard a few times to run in and grab the camera to get a photo of a flower or bug or bird in the yard. I've got a great photo of the houses in my neighborhood swathed in mist that I caught just before leaving for school a couple years ago.

In other words, look for the opportunities as they arise! :D

yeah... I carry my gear with me all the time :) and once a month I spend half a day (saturday) out of home, in the forest or by the seaside where I'm able to take pics. I', at school and I'll have my final exams in april so I don't have much time neither

Thanks for all your replies. There's some good advice to be had there, and I shall take you all up on it.

My only problem now is that I already carry a hell of a lot of stuff around with me all the time for my writing, plus all the necessities we girlies have to carry around with us at all times anyway. Hmm, I think I'm going to need a bigger handbag... :lol:

I am really wondering if i should be buying a pile of disposable cameras and putting them in every bag I own?

(I know they're disposable... But they can still catch car accidents)

I am like so many here. I always carry at least one camera with me at all times. In my bag, I keep the Kodak dx6490 and either my Konica or the Kodak Retina camera. Batteries, film and flash, release forms, grey cards..... that's about it. It all fits in a small bag that some (md and alison) call my man bag. :D

I definately have been taking the camera with me more and more. Heck I even take it into the shop with me in the morning, but it did get me some cool welding shots one week when that was my project. You just never know.

Keep your friends close, keep your camera closer!

Karalee said:
Usually the way it works for me, is the times I dont take my camera, I see the best things that would make one. Then I proceed to kick my own ass while muttering.

Think thats Murphy's law in action. :0) I think ive seen more and better things that would make for great pictures when I dont have a camera with me.

And today I planned to take some sunset pictures, and do 2 exposures, one for foreground, one for sky, guess what I forgot? My tripod. :0) I always leave it in my car..........except when I forget that its in the house after using it for a photo assignment for class.

I try to take my camera with me everywhere I go, even when I go to a friends place or to the post office. You never know when something interestingg may happen, or when something newsworthy may happen and have a sellable *spelling? even a word?* picture.

Although winter is coming up and im a bit weary to leave my camera in a -30C car for more than an hour. I may leave it in a thermos bag.

fadingaway1986 said:
I am really wondering if i should be buying a pile of disposable cameras and putting them in every bag I own?

(I know they're disposable... But they can still catch car accidents)

No way!! For the price of 9 or 10 disposables you can get an Olympus Stylus Epic P&S. It's a fantastic little camera.

Like everyone else I try to always carry a camera. Although there are occasions when I have to tell myself that I need to get out without the camera. You know, go to the park with my daughter, and let her have a rare day where dad isn't snapping away. :wink:

For walking around I used to carry an Oly Stylus Epic, but it was stolen. Now days my smallest set up is an Ansco Titan medium format folder (it fits in my back pocket like a fat wallet). I carry it loaded, and 2 extra rolls of film. No light meter. If I'm willing to carry a bag I'll take the Rollei or the Widelux; I can fit all their gear in a pretty small camera bag.

If I'm in the car, I'll pack up whatever camera grabs my fancy that day.

Karalee said:
Usually the way it works for me, is the times I dont take my camera, I see the best things that would make one. Then I proceed to kick my own ass while muttering.

Yeah, I find that happens to me, too. I try to take me camera everywhere...it's funny when people say "that's a strange looking purse". Um..it's not a purse genius, it looks nothing like one...it's my camera bag!

Core, hehe, when I first got my digital camera I use to carry the bag on my shoulder like you would with a gym bag, until someone asked if it was a purse. :0) Now I carry it by the handle on the top of the bag, hehe.

GerryDavid said:
Core, hehe, when I first got my digital camera I use to carry the bag on my shoulder like you would with a gym bag, until someone asked if it was a purse. :0) Now I carry it by the handle on the top of the bag, hehe.

:lol: Well, since I'm female, it really doesn't bother me in that way!

mad_malteaser said:
So how do you all do it? Do you guys all work part-time or something?? LOL And should I think about giving up one of my other projects in order to make more time for photography?

I carry my camera with me, on my shoulder, almost everywhere. Maybe I'll stop doing that once the novelty has worn off (I just got my first SLR in july, so it's already been a few months).

Also, whenever the sky is awesome or I just feel like going for a walk I'll take it out and shoot some photos.. I'll take pictures of the most mundane stuff downtown sometimes, but I figure it's good practice for when I"m actually somewhere interesting (on vacation, etc).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back