How do you get better at photography?

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been thinking about this lately, and it seems that even though I enjoy reading tutorials on photography on various websites, I learn the most if I read a few tutorials on the type of photography (landscape, portrait, etc) right before I go out and shoot. Then, I have the information still fresh in my mind and ready to incorporate. However, I think that articles on composition are universal and can be read anytime.

I spent a few hours the other day just reading random articles on posing for portraits and took notes, but I don't think I'll use it for a lonng time -- and if I do, I'll probably have forgotten about those notes :mrgreen:

What about you? How do you learn?

TEST! TEST! TEST!
practice makes perfect. I go onto various sites, and see some neat techniques. I then think ‘how can these techniques be incorporated with my pics?’
Something that will suit it. For example, the first time I saw the light writing technique i was amazed! I thought that it would only work at night and not at day, and it would be able to help tell a story by actually writing words! I then tested and tested! It was great!

What works for me?

• Shooting. Having fun just shooting photos. Practice, in other words.
  • Looking at photos in books. Often by renowned photographers, but not always. I can do this for hours and hours.
  • Looking at other art, watching films, visiting museums, hanging out in art schools, googling.
  • Reading photography articles: camera reviews, lens reviews, industry news, product specs, old articles.
  • Watching Youtube and other online tutorials, reviews, comparos.
  • Devoting time where I can do photography 100% without interruption, even if it's for a half hour. No distractions.
  • Just having fun with it.

For me, it's generally finding something I don't know how to do, or seeing a deficiency in my work, and then figuring out how to overcome or improve it. For instance when I found my outdoor portraits weren't where I wanted them to be, I stared reading, and then learned about the use of lighting out of doors, and practiced that...

Study, apply what I learned, study, apply what I learned, study, apply what I learned, study, apply what I learned, study, apply what I learned, ........................

My general procedure is:

-Go take photos.
-***** about all the stuff I messed up.
-Feel bad about how ***** my photos are.
-Leave the photos alone for a few days.
-Come back to them. Take a deep sigh.
-Realize that I didn't do as poorly as I thought, but also realize there are certain things I need to do better.

Lather rinse repeat for a few months and when I go back through my photos I notice improvement. Granted, it's not a whole lot of improvement but it's there. Lol

What ^^^^^ they said. I have spent a lot of time reading and then when something sounds cool, I will go out after work and try it. I spend a lot of time watching youtube and reading this site and a couple of others.

Buy $5,000 to $20,000 worth of gear that you really cannot afford, and then let the overwhelming feelings of guilt push you to new heights of education and achievement. A heavy debt load is a marvelous motivational tool.

Buy $5,000 to $20,000 worth of gear that you really cannot afford, and then let the overwhelming feelings of guilt push you to new heights of education and achievement. A heavy debt load is a marvelous motivational tool.

Or completely crushing if realize that you underestimated the difficulty/learning curve/time expense needed to get your money's worth. XD

What works for me?

• Looking at photos in books. Often by renowned photographers, but not always. I can do this for hours and hours.
  • Looking at other art, watching films, visiting museums, hanging out in art schools, googling.
  • Reading photography articles: camera reviews, lens reviews, industry news, product specs, old articles.
  • Devoting time where I can do photography 100% without interruption, even if it's for a half hour. No distractions.

You do realize that photography is not about fun right?

It cheapens the craft.

Learning what needs to be done in post to improve your shot such as adjusting contrast, colour, lighting, etc can lead you to learn how to make those improvements behind the camera.

Looking at other people's photos on forums may help you recognize your own mistakes or give you ideas to improve your own shots.

skieur

Now Derrel; who on earth would do such a thing? Don't answer that! Sssshhhh the devil made me do it.

Learning what needs to be done in post to improve your shot such as adjusting contrast, colour, lighting, etc can lead you to learn how to make those improvements behind the camera.

For the record... this is the absolute ass backwards way to do things. You should always strive to get it right in the camera first. Otherwise you're nothing more than a graphic designer... not a photographer.

And we allll know what sleezebags graphic designers are!!! They are like the chimos of the imaging world!!!

What works for me?

You do realize that photography is not about fun right?

It cheapens the craft.

Aw hell, I've been doing it wrong and ruining it for everyone else! Bad, bad, Jaemie.

Most reactions

Back