How do you get sparkles in your sources of light?

Depends on lens construction as well. Certain lenses use more blades to make up the aperture ring and you can see that in the number of arms in the stars.

I can't remember which lens I used but I have the 18-55 mm and the 50mm prime for the Canon T2i. I think it was the prime as I used it all night and don't remember switching, but this was a year ago.

If no added effect after the photo was taken, most likely that star effect was the result of smaller aperture with a small bright light source.

I shot under the aperture of f8, and I also shot at under low light since it was candlelight, with the ISO at 100 and the shutter speed around 30 seconds. However, I have not been able to get the same effect, even with small sources of light. I would also like to achieve this effect for video, at 1/50, so would the star filter work for that, or does it have to be a long exposure shot still? I could also stop it down to f16, as it was mentioned, but I think the camera may go into aperture diffraction at that point, or it just doesn't look as sharp as f8.

The spikes a cross screen filter make have a different look from small lens aperture diffraction spikes
I agree - it looks "cleaner" to me with the filter. Plus, filters allow you to decide the number of points and the alignment of them (the filter rotates). Without a filter, you're relying on the number of aperture blades in your lens, and it will always be "clocked" to the same position.

With filter:

Depends on lens construction as well. Certain lenses use more blades to make up the aperture ring and you can see that in the number of arms in the stars.

I can't remember which lens I used but I have the 18-55 mm and the 50mm prime for the Canon T2i. I think it was the prime as I used it all night and don't remember switching, but this was a year ago.

If no added effect after the photo was taken, most likely that star effect was the result of smaller aperture with a small bright light source.

I shot under the aperture of f8, and I also shot at under low light since it was candlelight, with the ISO at 100 and the shutter speed around 30 seconds. However, I have not been able to get the same effect, even with small sources of light. I would also like to achieve this effect for video, at 1/50, so would the star filter work for that, or does it have to be a long exposure shot still? I could also stop it down to f16, as it was mentioned, but I think the camera may go into aperture diffraction at that point, or it just doesn't look as sharp as f8.

The lens you used was the EF50mm f/1.4 using manual exposure of 32 secs @ F/8, ISO 100...

Actually it would have been 30 seconds, cause I haven't used bulb mode yet, and the camera does not go beyond 30 seconds before hitting bulb. Yes it is the EF50, at F/8 ISO 100, good job!

And the photo was taken on May 18, 2013 lol...

Most reactions

Back