How do you get special access?

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know how many of you guys get you pictures from inside the fence or on the sidelines or what now. But how do you guys get special access. Like I want to get on the sideline for Varsity football games. Should I just email the principle of Athletic Director? Also for bigger event how do you get special access? Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know how many of you guys get you pictures from inside the fence or on the sidelines or what now. But how do you guys get special access. Like I want to get on the sideline for Varsity football games. Should I just email the principle of Athletic Director? Also for bigger event how do you get special access? Thanks for the help guys.

For the HS stuff you can prolly just ask the coach. They should be pretty easy.

For the bigger events you'll need a job as a photojournalist. Most times just applying for media credentials as a "freelancer" isn't enough unless you've got an email address from someplace special or an editor that will vouch for you.

It never hurts to try.

you will find coaches for high school games are very laid back before the game and will work with you for the most part, especially if they can get there hands on some of the pics for there players....get there as soon as you can ask someone on the teams to point out the coachs and just ask. i have been doing high school games for the past month and have found just being polite has gotten me fairly far with what im aloud to do

best of luck

buy an orange vest on ebay and just walk where you want

no just kidding, call the event holder first to be professional and respectful. i have learned that you really need to get out there on your own and take a few images your self and post to a flickr or create your own website. when someone ask what you have done send them your portfolio link.

Its a progressive thing... I rarely see people getting into the bigger events without having done work in the smaller events.

The bigger the event, the more selective of whom they give a press pass to. Best to start off small.

- if its a kid's game, ask a friend or parent who has their kid playing and take shots of them
- approach a local newspaper in your area
- talk to the coach / school

If you are starting out and looking for experience, people have no reason to hire you. So give them one. Offer them some prints or take a team picture for them.

Start to make contacts. I shot a pro soccer game earlier this year through a client I did a corporate event for (school board volunteer appreciation night). They had a presentation to some kids at half time during the pro game and asked if I could take some shots. They didnt have the budget to pay, so I said that if he can get me a press pass to shoot the whole game on field, its a deal. And voila.

Most reactions

Back