How do you know when its time....

XxTheZombiezxX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To move on and get rid of a camera that isn't being used? I had 4 cameras. Nikon EM, Minolta Maxxum(a 3xi & 400si), Nikon N90s. Well, I gave my 3xi to my little brother. I never used it. Bought it, though I'd like it. But at the same time I bought my 400si and my N90s from the same guy that day. So, I gave it to my brother. The controls were to basic for me. I felt if I wanted something simple with nothing but a shutter and apature on a AF camera I'd use my Nikon EM which is MF. So, here's the thing. I bought my Nikon EM back in May. I love this camera. It's my first film camera. I used it constantly till I got my newer ones. And now it's collecting dust. I had it in my bag with my vivitar 80-200 MF lens. Never user either one. I actually haven't used it since the first time I took my n90s and 400si for a spin. So, I'm starting to think it's time to say goodbye and find it a new home where it'll actually be used. Problem is... It's my first camera so it's a bit harder. Plus, it's the earlier ones before the changed the color of the battery check button. So, this thread is basically about me asking when you know it's time to find your old camera you never use a good new home.

A camera is a tool. You have to separate from the emotional attachment and just ask yourself if it still fits your needs. If it does, keep it. If it doesn't, get rid of it and put the money towards something that does.

There is no right or wrong answer. You have to make that decision for yourself.

I recently had to make this same decision. Sold 3 film bodies including my first SLR.

I finally just had to admit was not going to give them much use. I had begun to move on. I sold them while could get what I could get out of them. Film bodies only depreciate. I told myself if I ever want to shoot film it would be easy enough and cheap enough to buy another body.

Always invest in good glass it’s timeless.

Yeah, well I still got my N90s It's my main camera. I only use my Minolta because of the glass on it. But. After I get a dslr. Getting all prime lenses. Well, at least that's what someone told me they're called. I guess to put it better. instead of 28-80. I'd have a 28mm and an 50mm and an 80mm. Well not exactly. The 28 part. But yeah. Once I get new faster glass. The rest will be completely pointless to keep around. Even though... they're my cameras and they've served me well.

I agree that it's really a decision that only you can make. Does it have enough sentimental value to keep around? Cameras don't take up a lot of space. On the other hand, someone may love one of those cameras. I have an EM and it did become second to my DSLR when I got it but I do still use it sometimes (I shot about 3 rolls of film today). I, personally, don't really plan to unload stuff that isn't really worth a lot unless I just give it away. For me, it is more of a hassle to try to sell something cheap than just keep it around.

If you're asking if it's time to get rid of one then it probably is time. IMO
BTW is was expecting this to be a "time to go pro thread" lol

No wonder their was so many views. O.O I'm sure your not the first who thought that is what this was about.

Yeah, i already put them up for sale. But I don't think the bodies will sell. Nikon EM bodies are dirt cheap. Minolta Maxxum 400si is apparently the same way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back