How do you know when you are good enough to start a business??

This is a great model for someone who would most likely never make a significant profit from photography, and/or will be non-existent in a few years. (I am not speaking of you Pixmedic, just in general) Most of these "photographers" don't even realize their not even making a profit at all even though they think they are. If you want some spending cash, then this might also be the plan and attitude to have. If you want to earn a significant amount of income and survive the long haul then I would rethink this plan. I don't care what Suzie Sucks Photographer is charging at all, because she is not the one behind the checkbook. I decide my income potential; not Craiglist or Facebook. Just because you can get someone to pay for something that doesn't mean you should put a sh*t product on the market. Wouldn't you rather be proud of your work and stand behind what you just accomplished then just half a** it because you can get away with it?

Sure. But we also didnt charge a dime until we had our tax id, dba, insurance, reasonably proper equipment, and my wife had worked under a pro wedding / portrait photographer for 5 years...

Who do you think, asking about starting a business on a forum, is going to do all that? I have yet to see it happen. Not to say that it cant, but lets be honest... That is how it SHOULD be done, but nobody wants to hear all that nowdays. Let alone actually DO it. I think the vast majority of people looking to "start" their photography business are just looking for some side money anyway. Its just too easy to say "ill just start taking money now with this camera i got for Christmas and get all that other stuff done later when i can afford it."
Look at how many people post "i have to shoot a wedding/portrait/party this weekend for a client , what do i do?" and then we never see the results.

Doesnt it seem just like people that think they know better than their doctor? They ask for the doctors advice, then when it seems to hard or they think its unnecessary they just do something else anyway. (not saying thats what the OP is doing, im just generalizing)

Nobody seems to care that it is illegal to take in unreported income. We report every dime we make. Cash, check, or charge. Not because we like paying taxes on it, but because it is the right thing to do. Instead of beating myself up trying to convince someone to do things the right way (again, not aimed at the OP at all) i think it is more expedient to just say, if it feels good do it, and heres some legal points to check into.

Who am I to tell someone they are or are not ready? Chuck 'em in the deep end and see if they swim. Of course, in todays market, its all deep end.
It isn't rocket science to figure the business side out. The steps are actually very easy and there are free programs in every state to help. (SBA) I just wanted to stress the fact that just because you can charge someone doesn't mean that you should, and the product you are putting out there should ultimately represent the best you have to offer your paying customer. That to me is solid advice. Not saying to half ass it and see how long you can survive.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I will say that there are still some of us out there pixmedic that want to do things the right way. When I started coming here I wasn't sure about starting a business or not. but when I got laid off and decided I had the time to work on doing it, I found out what I needed to know to do things the right way. I was a legal business per state requirements and insured before I ever took my first paying job, so not everyone does it the craigslist cash under the table way.

To the originol OP if you think starting a business is something you want to do then keep working on your processing and getting better at what you do. While you are doing this start looking into requirements for taxes, state, local, etc. start looking into insurance costs, upkeep, wether you need to add more gear, marketing, accounting, start working on a business plan start getting your ducks in a row. Maybe by the time you get your processing down to where your comfortable you will have the knowledged needed to start your own business. One thing to think about when running a business is processing a lot of times is more of a time eater then the photos. so being able to edit cleanly and fast becomes a big deal. think about where your costs are going to be and learn to minimise your costs.

Well being an experienced, indicates you make good pictures occur. They don't, occur for you. An expert, must be able to management the picture no justifications. What if you have a wonderful, new bride but the illumination absorbs or the space is a mess.

Most reactions

Back