How do you learn?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I guess this is a bit of a whining thread.

My sister just emailed me asking me if I have this and that lens, and that she wants to learn how to take this and that type of photo, followed by a link to a "how-to" book she's probably already ordered.

My sister reads a lot. Her room is full of her books, about religion, politics, economy, finance, culture, philosophy, yoga, cooking, tourism... plus industry technical books that she's involved in.
I'm the opposite. I barely have any books. I do, but certainly not enough to fill a shelf. In fact, my books are all in boxes now. They are full of pictures. Mostly design and auto related. I don't really look at them now since there are tons more on the internet.

Yet I can challenge my sister on any topic of conversation. Well, not really "challenge", but I can go as in-depth as she can.

On the topic of photography, well, this is where I get a little pissed. I have no photography book(except user manuals). I just get that thing in my hands and start using it. When I have a question or want to try new technique, I just find a quick tutorial on the internet and go back out to put it in practice. Philosophy? Culture? Cooking? These are best experienced in practice too! Yes I do refer to sources of information, but they can come from anywhere. I spend time on the web reading through news, tech and auto blogs. I travel, listen, observe, smell and feel. Back to photography, I can explain lots of things to my sister but she never really puts it in practice. So she always asks questions based on what she reads, which means they are full of bad assumptions. This becomes frustrating because she will question my input based on something she's never tried. So what's the point of getting this and that lens if she's going to trust that book more than herself? I think the point is, she's much more willing to invest her efforts on a comfortable couch than getting there under the sun.

Not trying to make sweeping assumption for those who read a lot. I just find that reading is a waste of time if I can be out there to experience the real thing myself. In actual personal experience, I find it far more assuring and meaningful. Of course, things that I cannot do myself, I read about them, but again, not just reading.

(Talking philosophy only works if the person you're talking to knows about philosophy, an I'm not talking about those personal opinions people call philosophy lol)

But anyways...

It depends on what aspect of photography it is. The business side? Hell yeah I'm gonna read a lot. Actually taking photos? I read quite a bit but not as much.

The reason I read so much is because I don't like to waste my time. Aside from school and work, I don't have a whole lot of free photography time when I have nothing else that I really need to be doing. So if I go out to shoot I usually research the tools I need, how they're used, and sometimes the PP afterwards.

I have a fervent passion for being productive when I'm doing anything. When I'm on my couch watching TV - that's lazy time. When I'm photographing - gosh darn it I'm gonna get the results I want. Haha

Sounds to me like the difference here isn't *reading*, but application. You both read--you just do yours on the internet and she prefers printed materials.
I have five siblings, all quite brilliant people (well, I'm probably the slow one of the lot, lol). Three of us are voracious book readers, the other two are rarely ever seen with a book in their hands. They, like you, do much of their reading on the internet or in technical manuals (or law journals, as one of them is a lawyer).
What we ALL have in common is the understanding that you can learn ABOUT anything from books or the internet--but if you want to learn to DO something, you must apply what you read.
To learn a skill, the two need to go hand in hand. I sure wouldn't want a surgeon who'd only read about how to do surgery!

I am an avid proponent of reading (whether it is books, or articles on the web, or magazines, or whatever)--reading improves your vocabulary, expands your horizons, introduces you to things you'd never even thought about. But if you ONLY ever read and you never apply, you will be a very learned, very useless-in-a-practical-sense kind of person.
My grandmother said about these people: "Sure, they're good, but for what?" :D

I was reading to my boys before they were even born. My eldest was seldom without a book in his hands from the time he was just a toddler. The youngest was more the active, outdoors sort, but still read WAY more than the average person from a very early age, because books and reading were just a normal part of their home life.
Today, at age 19 and 21, they are two of the most intelligent, interesting, well-rounded young men I've ever known. I attribute this to two major things: the amount of reading they did AND the amount of DOING they did. They loved to experiment, try things, test out theories, APPLY what they read about.

That's my opinion; it's worth at least half what you paid for it!

I try to read a lot. but i'm not good at retaining what I read. so I tend to read things over and over. diffrent books with the same general aspect and overtime I pick things up. and i go out and try the things i read. find out why myself. It was a bit frustrating for me starting out because I would read stuff, go out and try things and come back afterwards and go, "oh why didn't i do this. or, "if i had just done this I could have fixed that problem" or vice versa. but then I was able to take that practical experience of screwing up and improve the next shoot. trying to make sure that each time I went out I improved or added something to my head that I could use when I came upon that situation again. I read to learn about certain aspects or ideas I may never had before. and then go out and work on those concepts to actually accomplish them and make them an abilitiy i can use when needed.

I agree with others here that you need both. I have always been a reader, since I was pre-school and looking over at the newspapers and magazines my parents were reading. Although that is my main method of finding information, it is also true that actually using the information really solidifies it and also lets me know what else I need to read. However, if I try to do something without first having at least some information, it is a slower process because there is nothing to explain and connect my observations and experiences. Learning is an iterative process, requiring both information and experience.

I have tons of books on photography. They are "manuals" in a sense. When I want to do something I don't know about I get the manual out and take it off to do whatever it is. Read and apply.
I can't read those "manuals" as lay down and read before bed kind of reading. I have got to have the camera in hand or it's totally a waste of time and I am going to have to get the manual out in the morning with the camera. I get bored with it and go off to something with a plot.

IMO: Books of any sort are never a waste of time or money.
Learning is never a waste of time or money.
Some people learn by reading and can simply apply. Some learn through reading and doing. Some learn by visuals... It's different for everyone. What is the problem with the book filled room? Nothing. What is the problem with the book empty room? Nothing. It's just how different people learn and what they value.

There has been some discussion of "learning styles" in other places, with the claim that learning behaviour is too complex to be narrowly defined as a few styles. But there is enough truth there to use the concept. Some people learn by doing. Some learn by reading instructions and then following them. Some learn by watching others. Some learn by touch. We probably all use different approaches under specific circumstances.

Your learning style is probably pretty close to mine - I jump in and try different things and open the manual only as a last resort. My wife likes to see it done, then she can follow the approach. One of my daughters needs to see it written out before she feels comfortable with trying a new procedure. I have taught hundreds of people, both theory and practice, and one of my challenges in a one-on-one situation is to get an idea of what works well for that individual, and then do the training in that manner.

The second part of learning is internalizing/assimilating the new knowledge. Here again there are differences. To some, knowing about something is sufficient. To others, doing "it" until it is engraved in your muscle memory and becomes a reflex, is the sign of successful learning.

Most reactions

Back